where to connect

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

where to connect

Postby huwkka » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:37 pm

maybe am i just stupid or something, but to what ip should i connect to when i use git? I can not connect to a internet ip, and none of our compuuters have a lan ip since the network card is connected to adsl box which gives via dhcp the public ip.

So where should i connect ?
huwkka

Postby Ark » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:46 pm

You connect to the IP of the other person running GIT. GIT is a Tunnel, and thus requires two people running it, connected to eachother, so the tunnel has two sides.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby huwkka » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:01 pm

so i connect to the other person's public ip?

So i have a problem that cannot be solved with git, when the game only allows you to connect to local network ip ranges ?
huwkka

Postby Ark » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:12 pm

You are completely missing the point of GIT then. The games ability to only connect to certain IPs has absolutely nothing to do with GITs ability to connect.
GIT makes a connection via the internet between public IPs and must be mapped through NAT, opened through firewalls, etc for its port 213. Using UDP for GITs connection is best if you know how to modify your firewall/NAT/proxy/etc for that.
After that, your two LANs become one virtual LAN, and you just need to tell GIT what kind of traffic to forward. You need to understand how the game you want to play works, and what ports it uses, so you can tell GIT to forward those ports. You probably have to also make sure your two separate LANs have the same subnet mask and are on the same private network if you both use NAT, and none of your IPs conflict between the two LANs, since they will become 1 single LAN in effect.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby huwkka » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

yes, but when i do not have a "lan" what can i do? I have no local ip, only a public one.

I think i understand totally the way this program works. We have the git connection working.. Must i install a virtual network adapter to create a local ip which can be tunneled over the net ?

At least i think my public ip cannot be tunneled over itself :D
huwkka

Postby Ark » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:00 pm

It depends on the game you are trying to play and how it works. For some games, it doesn't really matter, you can just, say, tunnel UDP broadcast, and the game will route itself over the internet just fine. WC3 is a good example. You can play behind NAT or on a public unfirewalled IP, either way, just by tunneling the broadcast packets, the game will be able to find the game-server and play just fine.
For other games, like AoM, you must create a LAN and be on the same subnet and have no IP conflicts, and you have to tunnel ARP and all of the UDP packtets, broadcast or not. Even though AoM has a direct IP connect feature, it only works if all players, not just the server, but every single player, has a public IP that is not NATed. If just 1 person is NATed, you must ALL NAT yourself and be on the same virtual LAN and use GIT, and it will work.
I have tested both AoM and WC3 because I own them and so do some of my friends, but I likely do not have whatever particular game you are trying to use.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby huwkka » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:10 pm

this gets very tricky... Me and my friends are running out of ideas.

As we said we have the git connection working, checked from logs. Then we installed a virtual network adapter to both computers, and put ip 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 on them. Now the git should link them under the same lan ? so 10.0.0.2 should be seen on 10.0.0.1 and vice versa, like they were on the same lan ? This howewer does not happen :(

we really apprechiate you trying to help us! Thank you!
huwkka

Postby huwkka » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:31 am

so.. our two computers have microsoft loopback network adapter installed, and the ip's set to 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 and the loopback adapter selected from the advanced configuration menu. Status says that they are connected, with tcp listen server and tcp connect.

Still does not games work or ping get throug, when trying to ping .2 from .1 and vice versa. What could be wrong ?
huwkka

Return to GIT