GIT & VPN over Router for Generals

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

GIT & VPN over Router for Generals

Postby Ottest » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:10 pm

Hi there,

i got a small challenge here ^^ ... i wanna play Generals with a friend over a Router ... at first the configuration

PC 1 (thats my friend) is connected directly to the internet (internal IP 192.168.10.1
PC 2 (thats me) is connected through a router (internal IP 192.168.1.2

my Router has a build in VPN server which i set up for my friend to connect in ... connection works fine he gets the VPN IP 192.168.1.202

we tried to play generals over the vpn tunnel ... no success ... well there is no broadcast traffic forwarded ... ok here comes GIT ;) ... well we tried for several days to set it up but it doesnt work at all ... i got some questions about this

btw all necessary ports were forwarded ... all general game ports and the git port also

here my questions now

do i have to set up a GIT connection through the VPN tunnel or beside the VPN tunnel?

does GIT work with a VPN tunnel at all?

and can anyone post me the theoretical configuration of both GITs please?

thx in advance

regards

Ottest
Ottest

Postby Ark » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:40 pm

Firstly, "connected directly to the internet" and "internal IP 192.168.10.1" is a contradiction.

Second, GIT and VPN are two separate things that can both accomplish the same results. Think of GIT as a VN - that a virtual network, thats NOT private, because there is no authentication or encryption going on.
It would be very silly then to use both GIT and a VPN at the same time, since you will end up duplicating traffic twice.

If GIT does not work then GIT is most likely not configured correctly for what you want to do, or the router is not forwarding the GIT ports.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ottest » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:01 pm

phew that was fast help =) ... well i am very new to vpn and git *g* ... i try to explain a little bit more detailed what i wanted to do ... sorry for my bad english ^^ ... okay here we start

2 weeks ago i heard first about vpn and its features ... i bought a router supporting 8 vpn tunnels ... my intention was to play close to every game with some friends about a vpn network ... i configured the router to act like a server ... my friend can connect successfully ... we see us in the explorer like in a lan ... btw i am behind a NAT cause i need to share my internet connection ...

ok we tried to play command and conquer generals then ... we dont see ourselfs in the lobby but we could start a direct connect game using our "internal ips" ... i used my "real" internal ip (192.168.1.1) my friend used the "virtual" vpn ip (192.168.1.202) ... we can play the game

now i wondered why we dont see each other in the lobby ... i read about those ethernet broadcast packets and found GIT ^^ ...

now should it be possible to play the game over the vpn and just route the ethernet broadcast over a GIT tunnel ... or am i wrong? ... i tried a lot of configurations but i am not sure how to set it up now

thx 4 any help/advices

regards

Ottest
Ottest

Postby Ottest » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:04 pm

btw to give a few more ip information ...

friend:

LAN IP: 192.168.10.1
Internet IP: xxx.dyndns.org
VPN IP: 192.168.1.202

me:

LAN IP: 192.168.1.2
VPN IP: 192.168.1.2

router:

LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
Internet IP: yyy.dyndns.org

regards

Ottest
Ottest

Postby Ark » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:43 pm

We can't really help you with anything regarding VPN here. You should be able to play any game you want using GIT but we will be unable to help you with the specifics of setting GIT up since we likely don't have any of the games ourselves. VPN is another route to accomplish the same thing as GIT (and more, if you want encryption, etc).
Ark
Site Admin

Postby CodeFalcoN » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:46 pm

CNC Generals seems to be the biggest topic regarding GIT. I would love to write a howto for people who are trying to play CNC Generals from behind two NAT firewalls (which is the case a lot nowadays), but I can't seem to get beyond just being able to see each other in the lobby...Games timeout when you try to join. :?:
CodeFalcoN

Postby Ottest » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:48 pm

well i am not to far away from giving up all those internet tunneling ... i dont know what else to do to make a game running nicely ... well git would be a solution maybe but its not really what i want ... i have spent much money for my draytek router just cause of its vpn ability and i have read close to every forum providing vpn support ... but i dont get this to work ... i dont have any experience with vpns but my thoughts are the following

we built up a stable tunnel ... pptp or lt2p ... even ipsec wouldnt be a problem ... my friend uses the win xp built in vpn client to connect ... so now everythings works find ... just games dont work ... the prob seems to be the so called broadcast ethernet traffic ... so what to do now? ... my router supports routing of this traffic ... so it seems to be a client based prob ... but what to do now? ... i thought about using a parallel git tunnel to route this traffic but it doesnt seem to work either ... as u said ... we dont see each other in the lobby or get conenction time outs ... well ... maybe my friend needs to use another vpn client but there arent any free out there ...

maybe someone knows a good one and can post a link ?!

... but i still have no clue what is going wrong :/

regards

Ottest
Ottest

Postby Ark » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:26 pm

If your VPN tunnels broadcast traffic, then use that, if not, mixing GIT and a VPN is a big waste since GIT can do it all and you are just going to slow things down and make it more difficult by trying to mix them together. GIT can tunnel everything you need and should be able to work with any game if properly configured.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ottest » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:44 am

k thx a lot i will try a GIT only tunnel and shut down the vpn server ... btw is there any "sniffer" out there which is easy to handle ... as i said i am very new to all of this even i have read a lot since i dont get it to work ... i installed etheral but i dont like it cause it seems to be a professional software and damn hard to configure *g* ... i would like to know how i can be sure if those boradcast pakets are send through any tunnel ;)

ah and i got another question about GIT =) ... this small window called "alter ip" ... which ip adresses do i have to add there? and what does it exaclty do?

i guess internal ip is my lan ip

external ip is my routers wan ip? or lan ip? ... and does the option support dns? ... so could i enter xxx.dyndns.org ? ...

thx in advance

regards

Ottest
Ottest

Postby Ark » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:47 am

Just use GIT's logging options, it will tell you what packets it sees, what is forwarded, what is ignored, and what it is receiving from the other GIT. GIT works by being a sniffer basically, so the logs can have everything you need.

The alter IP will alter the source IP address of all packets befor GIT forwards them. You can use DNS, as the example on the website shows:

The point of the option is not that you always need it when using NAT or a router, but you only really need it if you are tunneling only broadcast packets, and expecting non-broadcast traffic to be routable over the Internet directly. The WC3 example set up uses broadcast-only tunnelling and the game server is located via the tunneled broadcast but then the game is played directly over the internet and GIT could actually be shut down after the game starts and it would still work. If the WC3 server is behind NAT, you can't have the remote players route a fake IP over the internet, so you need to alter the source address of the broadcast packets you are tunneling so that the remote players receive packets that appear to have been broadcast from your actual internet IP instead of your internal LAN NATed IP.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby FlipFlopHHJ » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:07 am

what you need to do is forward broadcasts sent to port 8086

that will send over all the broadcasts including the ones to the vpn network

that will let you see eachothers games in the lobby..

once the game starts it will use the vpn connection.

you need to setup your git to send the packets to your friends online ip and he needs to forward the port you use to his internal ip

he needs to send the packets to your online ip and you need to forward the port to your own internal ip.

192.168.1.x - nat (online ip) -> internet <- nat(online ip) - 192.168.10.x
FlipFlopHHJ

Postby HeiDiDo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:04 pm

@Ottest

Draytek Routers dont support Broadcast over VPN. There was an early Firmware for the Vigor 2200 (2.0a) which supports that. But Draytek removed it from Firmware. We asked for reget this in newer Firmware, but they told us, that there will be no more support. So u should give it up using the VPN Server Funktion of ur Draytek. Just use GIT or Open VPN.

Playing over VPN was one of the Reasons i bought my Vigor 2900. I am as unhappy as you, i cant use it now :(
HeiDiDo

Return to GIT