Need Some Insight

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Need Some Insight

Postby arapozo » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:50 am

I have played warcraft 3 in battle.net using microsoft windows 2000 internet connection sharing. The computer connected to the internet directly by modem could create a game and the other one thats connected via the first one could join that game so that both lan computers could play as two diferent players over the internet.
The problems began after i got ADSL, i configured the NAT for both computers to connect to battle.net using diferent ports, 6112 and 6113. So now both can play on the internet but, unlike before, if one of the two create a game, the other one cannot join it.
Is there a way to circunvent this problem?
arapozo

Postby CyberVenom » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:47 pm

Here's D-Link's instruction site.
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1332
(It should be a similar procedure for other routers.)

Can you host a game on either of the computers and accept connections from other computers on the internet? (If so, I think I have an explanation.)

-CyberVenom
CyberVenom

I can host a game

Postby arapozo » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:16 pm

I can host a game and get other users from the internet to connect to my game, the problem is when i host a game on one of my lan computers the other computer on the lan cant connect to that game.
I have a Zyxel router, what does the virtual server configuration shown on the link means? is this the same as a NAT rule?
arapozo

Postby CyberVenom » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:16 pm

Yes, "Vritual Server" is just D-Link's name for NAT rules. (Several other companies use the same name in their router setup as well.)

It sounds like your problem is with the inner workings of the NAT in the router. I have seen the same thing on a Cisco PIX (multi-thousand doallar machine that does the same thing :wink: )

Basically, the router has an external IP address to which external machines try to connect. When it receives a connection the router then passes it on to the internal machine specified in the NAT rules.

What is likely the problem is that if the router receives a packet addressed to its external IP from a machine inside the network, instead of applying the NAT rules and looping the packet back into the internal network, it tries to send the packet out to the internet.

Maybe there is a firmware upgrade for your router that might help.

I can't think of any simple way to use GIT to work around this. :( Maybe you can trade routers with a friend who doesn't need to have multiple WC3 players in his network.

-CyberVenom
CyberVenom

Will this work?

Postby arapozo » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:56 pm

Do you think that creatin a rule to route tha packages comming from the connection machine to send those directly to the hosting one will work.
I think that you are right on the fact that the router cant handle going out to the internet and then going back to the lan to stablish a connection.
The funny thing is that i'm certanly shure that the problem is the way the it handles the connections because with windows internet connection sharing we could play without a problem.
I also tried a proxy server and that didnt work either.
Any ideas anyone could give me?
arapozo

Postby CyberVenom » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:55 pm

The rule you are asking about is exactly what the one you already have set up should be doing. It should take the packets addressed to your external IP and send them to the server. Unfortunately it would appear your router is incapable of applying this rule to the packets that arrive from the inside.
With your current router, you can either play LAN games (with no Battle.net players), or Battle.net games (with no other players coming from behind your router)
The one alternative that exists would be to play a LAN game, but have all of your internet friends install GIT on their machines, and you install GIT on your server. (Other computers in your network wouldn't need GIT to connect to the server) Then you should be able to play it as a LAN game. Unfortunately this means that anyone that is not already inside your LAN will need to install and configure GIT to be able to play with you.
If you want to try to test this option, let me know this evening. I have WC3 laying around, and I can install it and test with you if you like.

-CyberVenom
CyberVenom

Return to GIT