Using GIT for IPX games

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Using GIT for IPX games

Postby jakewalk » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:48 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure if the problem is actually a problem with GIT.
I tried to play an IPX game (Atomic Bomberman) with a friend, we bot used the latest version and the wizard and are both behind a router. Although we redirected port 213 to our internal IP, we don't see each other in the game. I tried to ping his IP and it worked, but I was not able to ping him via port 213. I'm not sure if this should be possible.

My config:
Forward to what host:
62.227.198.145:213 (UDP)

Forward which IPX sockets:
0000-ffff : All sockets

Do I have to set IPX protocol to a special frametype? I remembered that the game doesn't work on a local LAN with the autodetect function.

Are there any settings required in the advanced configuration dialog?

Regards,

jakewalk
jakewalk

Postby Ark » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:27 pm

Always configure GIT by using both configuration dialogs.
For IPX, you must have the IPX protocol installed for Windows. It is recommened that you force frame type to 802.2 on all sides. 802.2 is the newest and best standard for IPX frames. (Yes, its newer than "802.3")

I'm not sure what you mean by "ping him via port 213". That doesn't make sense. Pinging involves ICMP/IP and is not really related to using IPX so it won't help you much there.
Forwarding ARP may help though.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby jakewalk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:07 am

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply.
We changed settings in the advanced configuration dialog, but without success. IPX protocol was already installed, but although frame type is now set to 802.2 it still doesn't work. Forwarding ARP hadn't any effect, too.

I thought IPX is tunneled via TCP/IP and the computer needs to be accessable through this port, that's why I tried to ping.

Anyway it is not working and I am out of ideas.

jakewalk
jakewalk

Postby Ark » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:55 am

Yes, the IPX is tunneled via port 213 (recommeneded that you use UDP, and it will use port 214, 215, etc if you need more than 2 LANs connected)
Ping doesn't ping a specific port. Ports are only available in the UDP and TCP layers, PING works on the ICMP layer on top of IPv4, and there is no notion of ports there. You can ping his external IP, but you could do that without GIT even running and it wouldn't tell you much. You do need those ports 213, etc forwarded from the external IPs to the computer running GIT if you use NAT or a firewall or router.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby jakewalk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:23 am

Hi,

thanks, I thought it was possible to "ping address:port", but you made it clear that it isn't.
Port 213 is set in the router to be redirected. Maybe it is a problem with the game itself, I just don't know.

jakewalk
jakewalk

Problem mainly solved

Postby jakewalk » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:26 am

Hi,

d'oh, the problem was a misconfiguration of my router and it basically works now. The only problem left is the low data transfer rate. Can it be increased somehow? The game lags from time to time.

jakewalk
jakewalk

Postby Ark » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:09 am

You can increase your transfer rate by buying a faster internet connection. DSL works better in general and its your upload speed that matters. If you have just one side with a 4.0M/128K cable connection, you basically only have a 128K connection in both directions. If you have a 6.0M/768K ADSL connection on both sides, you get 768K then.
More realisticly, see if the game itself can be set to use less bandwidth. Many IPX games particularly, assume a 10Mbps LAN, so they will easily flood any common upload speed you may have. Games like WC2 for example, had hidden command line options such as "pkt:4" which would restrict their bandwidth output. Not all games would have such an option though.
Ark
Site Admin

Same problem but not solved

Postby phalyk » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:19 pm

Hi,

I'm replying to this topic because, i am trying to configur GIT to lay Atomic Bomberman with a friend.

I would be pleased to know what was missing in "jakewalk" firewall configuration. because we are not able to make this game work.
By the way, is there any thign to test IPX protocol connection between to PCs?

At last, I've question to understand how to configure GIT :
on IPX tunneling, is there a notion of server (LISTENING) in GIT, because if we are3 to play we ahave to configure cross exchange, how ?

Actually, we tried this
my GIT his GIT
SERVER on 213 connected to myIP:213

connected to hisIP:214 connected to myIP:213

server:213 and con. to hisIP:214
server:213 and con. to hisIP:214 (sure NOK)

I understood server is for IPv tunneling!
Did I misunderstand, and what about IPX
(Atomic bomberman seem to work with old IPx accordingto myfriend log)

Thanks in Advance for your reply
Regards
phalyk

Return to GIT