Has ANYBODY got 3-player StarCraft working?

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Has ANYBODY got 3-player StarCraft working?

Postby magnate70 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:38 am

If so, please help us! We are a group of four friends trying to play StarCraft (BroodWar). We are all running GIT 0.99beta4 with identical config. We are all using the 192.168.1.x subnet with no IP conflicts (all our machines have unique IPs). Any two of us can connect and play fine using UDP, but whenever a third person joins we get what we call a "packet storm", where the ping time between the original two players goes through the roof (3000ms or more), causing one person to drop out of the game (and, for the two of us who use hardware routers, crashing the router and dropping them off the net!).

We are all behind NAT firewall/routers (2 are hw routers, 2 are linux PCs) and we all have the following config:

1. On the main config screen, the host has the following setup -
player-1-IP:213 (UDP - fastest)
player-2-IP:214 (UDP - fastest)
player-3-IP:215 (UDP - fastest)

Other players merely have -
host-IP:21x (UDP - fastest)

... where x is 3, 4 or 5. The relevant port is forwarded through the firewall (all three for the host).

The "be TCP listen host" is unchecked for everyone, the IPX section is totally blank, and we're forwarding ports 6100-6200 (we found that forwarding only port 6112 for StarCraft does NOT work).

2. On the Advanced config screen, we have only six boxes checked:
Ethernet II
Forward ARP
TCP
UDP
ICMP
Also match source port

That's it - as I said, the host can create and play a game with any one of the other three, but that player drops out with a packet storm if a third player joins. The packet storm continues until both the host and original player have shut down GIT. This happens whichever of the four of us is the host.

My knowledge of network packets and protocols is pretty limited, so I don't know what's causing the problem, but it's very consistent.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance,

CC
magnate70

Re: Has ANYBODY got 3-player StarCraft working?

Postby sickdm » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:41 pm

If I remember correctly, I think GIT has several loop-prevention options (they help you avoid packet storms that you are encountering). I think it's "Use old forward prevention" or something like that - try turning that off/on.

You should try changing those settings on all of the three computers.

-Anthony
sickdm

Postby Ark » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:58 pm

You probably do NOT want to use the *old* reforward prevention method. GIT will always prevent packet storms, it just has two different methods of doing so. The old method adjusts the TTL of the packets, but this does not work with some programs. The new method (if you leave that box unchecked) keeps track of source MAC addresses of the packets.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby sickdm » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:11 pm

Ah, I stand corrected!
sickdm

Postby MR_Jaimeh » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:23 pm

THE FOLLOWING IS INCORRECT.. (see Ark's Post below) I HAVE KEPT THIS, BECAUSE IF ANYONE ELSE IS SETTING UP LIKE THIS, THEY CAN SEE WHY IT'S WRONG:

Well, I'm not entirely sure how we did it.. just sorta sat down and drew it out. we had 2 PCs on the same physical network... so from now on I'll call them "1 person" (only 1 instance of GIT running on 1 of those machines) ok.. the 2 NAT firewalls were set up to allow "virtual servers" (port forwarding) to the specific computers running GIT on the inside of their networks. we got each others IP addies... (one of them changed while we were figuring it out - DSL .. watch for that, it's AGGRAVATING) now I"m not sure this is what you have to do, but this is what we ended up doing when we figured out we were using the wrong IP addy for one of the PCs..
PCs A, B, and C (this is all UDP - fastest!)

...................A
.......215.../...\....214
.............../.......\
............./...........\
...213../...............\....213
.........B_________C

ok, in case it's difficult to read that ascii "art" ... (or makes sense only to me)

basic idea is that person A "has" the port 213 associated w/ him
B "has" 215, and C "has" 214

A forwards to B on 215
A forwards to C on 214

B forwards to A on 213
B forwards to C on 214

C forwards to A on 213
C forwards to B on 215

oh, btw.. we basically forward all IPX/SPX traffic... probably not the smartest choice, security-wise... but for the most part, it works fine.. haven't had any problems yet... ... ... .... ;-)

hope this helps!

Last edited by MR_Jaimeh on Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MR_Jaimeh

Postby Ark » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:36 pm

Um, that really should NOT work. GIT sends back to the other GIT on the same port it receives from. You do need 3 ports, but it should be
A<--213-->B
A<--214-->C
B<--215-->C
The two generic wizards in 0.99B4 will automatically assign the port numbers starting with 213 if you give it a list of IPs.
Also, for the IPs in the wizard or connect to spots, you can use domain names, do if you use a dyndns service, you don't need to keep updating the IPs, just put in the dns name instead.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Morgoth80 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:27 pm

how do u simultaneoulsy allow connections on more than one port at the same time? im trying to play wc3 with 2 players and i can only get them connected on one port 213.. HELP!
Morgoth80

Postby Ark » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:38 pm

Like I said, the other player uses port 214, then those two players connect to eachother on port 215. Its not really that difficult. There is even a wizard (generic tcp/udp) in 0.99 BETA 4 which sets that up for you.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Morgoth80 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:03 am

I got it working; but i had both of the clients (if u can call them that) connect to me on the same port; worked fine with me...
Morgoth80

Postby Morgoth80 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:20 am

I must say; excellent program!!

I played with a friend in egypt and a friend in japan! talk about world of warcraft!
Morgoth80

Postby Sprigun » Tue May 10, 2005 4:25 am

Hey magnate70
Could you please write you GIT settings for Star Craft Brood Wars.
Becouse Me and My friend cant get it work AT ALLL!!!
:x
Thanks
Sprigun

tutorial

Postby Loro » Fri May 27, 2005 4:00 am

I was reading this thread and Im just lost :cry: Im very new with this tool but I hope someone can make a small tutorial How we need to setup this tool to play

-StarCraft
-StarCraft Brood War
-Warcraft 3

It would be great :wink: or maybe add some kind o menu where we can chose the right setup.

Thank you on advance for any information about how I need to setup HOST/CLIENTS with this tool on W3.
Loro

Return to GIT