Behind Router/nat

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Behind Router/nat

Postby Woodsielord » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:04 pm

Hi there, I would like to play with my friends to AVP2, Starcraft, CS, [...] and this tool looks very interesting, but I'm not familiar with it yet.
Cause I'm the only one with 256 upload I use to be the Host in every game, so.. I think I should mark the checkbox "Be tcp listen server..." But if I do so, witch port should I foward for GIT ?? 213 ? I'm behind a Router
If I would like to choose UDP, or to specify any port... should I use the "host or ip" field with "localhost" ?
Thanks for your help,
Woodsielord
Woodsielord

Postby Ark » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:26 pm

Its always best to use UDP for the GIT connection, so if you can, forward port 213 UDP from your router to your internal IP, and have the other person connect to your external IP using UDP port 213. You connect to his external IP on port 213 using UDP as well then.
Its actually best if you are both using NAT behind a router and can set up your LANs with no IP conflicts and have both share the same subnet.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Woodsielord » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:01 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick answer :D
I should watchout for possible IP conflicts then? If all our internal IPs together have no convflicts then I should be ok.
Thanks again. I will try as soon as I find my friends to test, If trouble.. I'll be back :lol:
WoodsieLord
Woodsielord

Postby Ark » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:20 pm

No IP conflicts is definately something to watch for, but its also important sometimes to make sure you are on the same LAN.
If one of you uses 192.168.0.X and the other uses something else like 192.168.1.X or 10.1.1.X, one of you needs to change.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Woodsielord » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:25 pm

ok, I'm back full of failures :lol:
What I've done:
- I routed successfully port 213 UDP to my primary PC called "dynast"
then, I config GIT...
Host or IP: "localhost"
Port: "213"
Method: "UDP fastest"

And I told my friend to config...
Host or IP: <my external IP>
Port: 213
Method: UDP fastest

But nothing happened, no connection was done between us. (checked using GIT's own connections monitor)
Afterwards we tryed again changing some values:
I configed my git:
host or IP: <my external IP>, rest idem. After adding this value, a message appeared and hanged on for a while...
But also this time, nothing happened...

Forgive my helpless networking knowledge. Wood
Woodsielord

Postby Ark » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:42 am

You don't want to be using localhost or your own IP for your GIT connection, you need to enter the other person's external IP so GIT can tunnel traffic to them. Otherwise you just tunnel traffic to yourself and duplicate packets on your own network.
Ark
Site Admin

Return to GIT