Great tool- need v 2

Optimize your Photos for email and use on the web

Great tool- need v 2

Postby seaweed » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:48 pm

I have been using this fantastic utility for a while and so do all my friends. It's by far the best jpeg adjustment tool because you can see the effect of compression as well as the file size before commiting to save a pic.

The best thing about it is the way it automatically optimizes compression vs. quality whenever you open a pic.

The biggest bug is that it won't show all of larger pics, nor even the file size and stuff on the upper right side.

Besides that, I wish that there was a way to do a batch open and save with it for optimizing sets of photos to email. The free image program "Irfanview" has a great batch function that is a good example of how powerful it could be with batching.

If you guys could ever see clear to upgrade ReJpeg or, even better work with Irfan to integrate it into Irfanview, you would make a lot of people happy. I have suggested it to him and he is interested...

Thanks !
Steve
seaweed

Postby Ark » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:24 am

There is actually a v2.0 for ReJPEG coming very soon now. I don't know what specifically you mean by batch, but you will be able to open multiple images at once, via drag and drop or command line.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby seaweed » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:49 am

Fantastic! Great to hear about 2.0 ! Multiple images is just what I meant by "batch". I think. I'll explain.

My REJPEG usage usually goes like this; I pick out a set of photos to email (using dial-up :cry: ) and copy them to a folder. I use my photo-viewer to reduce the copies to 800x600 size. I then open each one individually in REJPEG and let it do it's auto-optimize thing, then save. I repeat this process with each picture in REJPEG until all are optimized (shrunk) for emailing.

Anything on 2.0 that would allow multiple pics to be opened and saved like this with less repeated steps will be greatly appreciated.

"Referring to "Batch" ;

In "Irfanview" (the very BEST picture viewer out there, freeware, www.irfanview.com) there is a "batch" function which opens a window for choosing files to build a list. There is a small preview pane for seeing what you are choosing. Once the list is formed, you can perform any one of many exercises with the list and have it save in many different ways. Very well done. You should check it out.

It would be perfect if your REJPEG auto-optimizing trick could be an integrated option in Irfanview's batch process, but, of course, it's your software and it's fine as a stand-alone too.

Thanks for creating a program so obvious and simple, yet that no one else has done!! I pass it on to all my friends and family (along with IRFANView) so they don't clog in inbox!

Steve
seaweed

Postby Ark » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:51 am

I'm not sure what you mean by auto-optimizing either. ReJPEG doesn't do anything automatic. I can show you a graph and help you pick out the right compression level, but it isn't going to pick one for you.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ark » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:27 pm

v2.00 has been released!
Ark
Site Admin

What?

Postby seaweed » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:46 am

Ark wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by auto-optimizing either. ReJPEG doesn't do anything automatic. I can show you a graph and help you pick out the right compression level, but it isn't going to pick one for you.

Very strange that you don't know about this aspect of Rejpeg v1. Believe me, it does exist. My friends and I all utilize this. It is a KEY feature!!!

I still have not used V2 yet (just downloaded it) but it looks like this feature was DROPPED ! Is is possible that nobody at Morpheous ever noticed it?

To demonstrate, try this:

Open v 1.0 of REJPEG
Open a file (must be 800x600 or smaller to see numbers in corner)
Look at the upper right of window for the numbers displayed:

In my example, the "File size" is 140194 bytes - this is the original file size

"Quality" is 50 (99.1% same) This shows the automatic optimization. The original file is stored at 90% compression but rejpeg sets the compression to yield 99% similarity to original

"NewSize" is 44075 bytes
This shows the size of the file with the level the autocompression chose. If you never touch the slider and just save it now, it will be automatically reduced from 140k to 44k. No fooling around.

I still can't believe you guys all missed this! I will check it out, but after reading the tutorial, faqs and help, it appears that this feature has been dropped from V2.

Please consider reinstating it. I believe that the graphing of the quality vs. size was the key to this feature. Probably also used the info in some sort of differential equation to find the optiimum setting based on a certain percentage.

And a "batch" function would only work with this feature in mind. No wonder it didn't make sense to you. But just imagine if you could open a folder from RJPEG and build a list of files to be recompressed and sized automatically. Just pick the size and it would automatically set to 800x600 (like Irfanview can do) as well as use the optimization algorithm to optimize compression.
seaweed

Postby Ark » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:28 am

I'm pretty sure v1.0 just defaulted to quality = 50 whenever you open a picture. v2.0 does the same thing. The quality/size graph is still there too, its just called the Quality Graph now (the first graph choice).
Ark
Site Admin

Postby seaweed » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:21 pm

Well! I just checked and you are absolutely right !!! Excuse me.

All that time we all assumed it was some optimization. I've even read that on other reviews. And it works great just by doing 50% too!

That tells me a lot more about JPEG...

Thanks.
seaweed

Return to Morpheus Photo Compressor v3.00