Morpheus crashes all the time

Make sure to search and see if your bug has already been posted

Morpheus crashes all the time

Postby sumo » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:08 pm

Dear Morpheus support,

The software keeps crashing when I´m placing dots.
When I used Morpheus one year ago, it didn´t do that. But I had an old PC with win98. Now have an overclocked AMD1800+ and win2000 but never had such problems with other programs before.

Btw, maybe this is helpful: When I´m moving dots, my cpu power is fully used.
sumo

Postby Ark » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:16 pm

Its most likely not Morpheus that is causing the crashes, it could be any number of things though, since for one your system is overclocked. Try reinstalling the program, scanning for viruses or spyware, and also try removing the system files from safe mode without the protection feature and having Morpheus reinstall them, since if any of them are corrupted, you will have all kinds of problems:

mscomctl.ocx
msinet.ocx
comdlg32.ocx
msvbvm60.dll
stdole2.tlb
comcat.dll
oleaut32.dll
olepro32.dll
asycfilt.dll
Ark
Site Admin

Postby sumo » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:34 pm

I reinstalled the prog (even tried older versions, too), scanned my system 4 viruses and spyware but before doing the sytem files thing...
I´d like to say that it´s not my system which crashes but only the morpheus programm ("morpheus has caused an error and has been termined....") and only sometimes when I am moving dots.
So I can reproduce the bug by moving dots around long enough(<2min).
Since there are no system files being loaded in that very moment, I don´t think reinstalling them would help.
But I´ll do it if you insist. 8)
sumo

Postby Ark » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:59 pm

Since the nature of your crash seems somewhat random, and nobody else at all is having the same type of problem, it seems definately some problem with your computer.
The type of error you list can also be caused by bad hardware or overclocking. Normally a program which uses MSVBVM60.DLL would crash with a OLE error of some sort if it were the program's fault. To get an access violation/GPF/error like that would mean that the MS system file itself is crashing, and the likelyhood of there being such a fatal flaw in the MS file is very low.
I don't know why you say 'no system files loaded in that very moment' since you simply cannot run the program if all of those system files do not exist. They are all loaded and being used simply by opening the program.

You can download this utility to report the version of those various system files: http://www.morpheussoftware.net/morpheus/SysRep.exe
Paste the contents of SysRep.txt here.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby sumo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:03 am

i meant there are no sysfils loading at that moment... (I assume this because no hd activity is being noticed)
sumo

Postby sumo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:56 am

here we go...

file 'msvbvm60.dll' ProductVersion=6.0.97.82 FileVersion=6.0.97.82
file 'mscomctl.ocx' ProductVersion=6.1.97.82 FileVersion=6.1.97.82
file 'mscomct2.ocx' ProductVersion=6.0.88.4 FileVersion=6.0.88.4
file 'oleaut32.dll' ProductVersion=2.40.4522.0 FileVersion=2.40.4522.0
file 'olepro32.dll' ProductVersion=2.40.4522.0 FileVersion=5.0.4522.0
file 'asycfilt.dll' ProductVersion=2.40.4522.0 FileVersion=2.40.4522.0
file 'comdlg32.ocx' ProductVersion=6.1.97.82 FileVersion=6.1.97.82
file 'msinet.ocx' ProductVersion=6.1.97.82 FileVersion=6.1.97.82
file 'stdole2.tlb' ProductVersion=2.40.4522.0 FileVersion=2.40.4522.0
file 'comcat.dll' ProductVersion=5.0.2195.1 FileVersion=5.0.2195.1
sumo

Postby Ark » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:17 pm

Those file versions are all newer then the ones Morpheus comes with, but they should all still work. You should try scanning for spyware using something like SpyBot S&D, or make sure you are up to date with service packs and windows update.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby sumo » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:00 am

My system is updated and I have all Service Packs. Adaware and Spybot just found some tracking cookies, which i deleted. I Scanned my PC for Viruses and I even tried a CPU-arithmetic-stress-test-program, both reported that everything works fine...

Now I don´t know further...
sumo

Morpheus Crashing When Placing Dots

Postby Iain » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:19 am

This is exactly what is happening to me!

Morpheus crashes when I place the 6th or 7th dot everytime. I have reinstalled the SW on a completely 'clean' laptop with the same problem. This IS a SW bug. Please advise.

Iain
Iain

Postby Ark » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:36 am

We have tested on clean installs of *every* version of Windows, so clearly if you are crashing when simply placing dots, there is a flaw in one of the system files you have. Please note that a clean install is not the same as using a "restore" CD which may pre-load your computer with many programs, even spyware already, depending on the manufacturer.
Ark
Site Admin

I Found the Problem

Postby Iain » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:43 am

Ark,

Thank you for blaming my computer for what is clearly a bug in your code. I have now found out what the problem is and can assure you that it is nothing to do with my computer. It also explains why you haven't been inundated with complaints.

If you place dots one at a time by dragging them onto the pictures there isn't a problem. However, if you try to place a series of dots using the ctrl A method, this radically increases the CPU load until, after 5 or 6 dots, the programme crashes.

I suggest youy take a look at the ctrl A routine in your programme and sort out the bug.

Not a particularly good customer-care set-up if you simply try to blame a small epidemic of problems on other peoples computers.

Iain
Iain

Postby Ark » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 am

On all of our test machines, under all versions of Windows from 95 to XP, holding Ctrl+A for about 2 seconds will simply max out the number of dots, and produce a message saying you cannot have any more then 256 dots. Under Morpheus v1.85, the dots are a type of invididual control, so anything which is hooking into the msvbvm60 runtime or any of the active X controls may be inadvertantly crashing Morpheus. Our test machines are completely clean installs of each OS directly from the CD, with no virus scanners, and no software loaded at all other than basic drivers for video/sound. The next release of Morpheus no longer uses any VB components, so I am sure this type of issue with unknown 3rd party software will not matter anymore.
Ark
Site Admin

Morpheus Crashes

Postby Iain » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:46 am

Ark - you aren't listening / reading what I'm telling you.

I did a clean Morpheus install on a clean machine (i.e. only windows and MS Office) loaded after a reinstall of XP.

The problem is not caused by holding down the coltrol A key. The problem is caused by pressing the ctrl A key about 6 times... very slowly if necessary... until Morpheus crashes.

This bug is repeatable.

This bug is independant of my SW setup (clean windows install).

There may well be some interaction between Morpheus SW and my HW which your testing doesn't uncover but please please please stop telling me that there's something wrong with my computer.

Iain
Iain

Return to Bug Reports