Crash when I try to send my morph by e-mail with Share

For topics specific to the Morpheus for OS X versions.

Crash when I try to send my morph by e-mail with Share

Postby shanti8 » Sat May 16, 2009 5:33 am

I have a Macbook - I am running Tiger. I created my first morph, no problem there. So I thought I'd send it to my brother, with the "Share".
But
when I tried, Morpheus crashed.
1. I tried the non-swf option. Morpheus crashed. Three times now.

2. I tried the swf option. Here is what I got:

"unable to read the file. Please save your layout or pictures in a different location." WHERE should I save, please?

I had saved the layout in "Pictures", and I also saved it on my desktop, in case it would help, but it did not.

I am disappointed.
Is there anybody at Morpheus company who can tell me why this "Share" thing is not working, please?
THank you.
shanti8

Postby Ark » Mon May 18, 2009 12:27 pm

What version are you using? Please check under Morpheus/About Morpheus.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby shanti8 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:59 am

I am using Morpheus Photo Animation Suite v 3.01 Professional.
shanti8

Postby Ark » Sat May 23, 2009 10:06 am

Please try logging in as an account with Admin access and reinstalling the program.
Also try doing the upload with an Admin account. Normally, the temporary folder Morpheus uses is writable to all accounts, but if the temporary file needed to be rendered before it is uploaded can't be created, you see an error like that.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby shanti8 » Sat May 23, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks. But I am the only person who uses this Mac,
and I am the Admin.
So I did install it "as the Admin". In fact, it is the only account I ever use.
So it was also the account I was using when I tried the "Share" thing.

I am afraid it is not the reason.

Should I still go ahead and try to re-install Morpheus?
Should I trash it first? And if I need to trash it before re-installing it, is it enough to just trash the icon in the
Applications folder, or do I need to trash other things, please?

THanks!
p.s. I was able to render it, and save it on my desktop, and I attached it to an e-mail to my brother, and that worked just fine. But still, I would like the "Share" to work directly.
shanti8

Postby Ark » Sat May 23, 2009 8:17 pm

This should be changing to better use /tmp in v3.10, but in v3.01, I believe the path that it tries to render a file to temporarily is /Library/Application Support/Morpheus Software/renderFile.swf and if that location is not readable or writable, you may have trouble, although the application/installer should have already made that location exist with the proper permissions.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby shanti8 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Oooh this sounds very - wow, but I do not quite understand "this should be changing to better use", nor "tmp".
I did understand the rest, but does it mean I should go and create the file that you say? (if it has not been created by the installer)
and should I check that the permissions are compatible? (dunno how, though, but I thought it would sound good)

swf works in Mac, yes?

Please write in simple words, I am a brave grandmother with a little computer.
Thanks!
shanti8

Postby Ark » Tue May 26, 2009 8:05 pm

These kind of operations you need to do from "Terminal" most likely in order to issue commands from the text command prompt.
This is not officially a thing we can entirely support here, but you would most likely do something like:

cd "/Library/Application Support"
mkdir "Morpheus Software"
chmod 777 "Morpheus Software"
rm "Morpheus Software/renderFile.swf"

This creates the directory (will fail if it exists), makes it readable/writable for all, and deletes the temporary file if it exists there still.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby shanti8 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:30 pm

Hello Ark,

Ooh I really enjoyed this! First I went to Terminal, but I missed a "Space" so it said "No such file", which was odd.
So I went to Library/Application Support and it did have a Morpheus Software file!
But out of curiosity, I tried the Terminal again, paying great attention to all the spaces and punctuation, and it worked, and it said: "file already exists".

So that does not seem to be the source of the problem, and I still do not know why Morpheus should crash when I try that, since the rendering itself works - as I told you, I saved my morph onto my desktop and was able to attach it to an e-mail.

I am puzzled.
But I enjoyed the Terminal dialect (I am a linguist, and codes amuse me).

If you have any other idea, please let me know.
Should I un-install and re-install Morpheus?

Thanks!
Sylvie.
shanti8

Postby Ark » Wed May 27, 2009 8:33 pm

It sounds like you stopped at the "mkdir" command, but the important one is the "chmod" command, which changes the permissions of the folder.
After you do: cd "/Library/Application Support"
type: ls
And then find the line which lists the "Morpheus Software" folder to see it's current permissions. 777 will change it to rwxrwxrwx to ensure anybody and everybody can read and write to that folder.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby shanti8 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Thank you Ark, thank you for your patience.

chmod 777 yielded: Operation not permitted - look:

chmod 777 "Morpheus Software"
chmod: Morpheus Software: Operation not permitted

(I am the one and only administrator of this computer, but it does not obey me at all. Do you know a good computer trainer? Or maybe it is me who needs training! If I did not live in Japan, I would take classes...)

ls gave a list of the applications, but no line where I could actually see the permissions.

Adobe MindVision ProApps
Apple Morpheus Software iDVD
Canon Mozilla iMovie
DriveGenius NetServices iWork '06
FLEXnet Publisher Objective Development plasq
GarageBand Omni Group
Macromedia PDFClerk

which was better aligned on my screen - the tabs have slipped.

But I think you're on to something, because when I went to Application Support and did Apple-i on the Morpheus Software file, to see the permissions, it said "Read only".

However, I do not know what to do if chmod 777 does not work.

Thanks in advance!
Sylvie.
shanti8

Postby Ark » Wed May 27, 2009 10:18 pm

That Get Info window is the same thing effectively as doing the chmod to set the permissions.

Can you set the permissions to "Read & Write" from that Get Info (Cmd+I) screen, or will it only stay as "Read only"?
Under details, mine currently says that the owner and group are "ark", the access is listed as "Read & Write" for the owner, and "Read only" for the group and for others.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby shanti8 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:45 am

Hi Ark,
Ooh this is exciting! I have done it! I did the Command-i and went into help to find how to set permissions. The screen was dimmed, but I clicked on the lock, put in my name, and the system prompted me to enter my password. I got a beachball and stopped breathing for a few seconds but it worked!

Then I opened my Morph to try to send it and IT WORKED! I did have some trouble, because in animated GIF, it said it was over 2000 kbytes so I twiddled with it, changing the number of frames, etc.
I was able to send it as Flash SWF (390,255 bytes), no problem
but as animated GIF, first it said it was over 2000 kbytes so I twiddled with it, changing the number of frames, etc. until it was under 2000 kb (1,483,325 bytes) but it did not work.

The server reported an error processing the morph, please try again later.

I might do that, tomorrow morning, when there is no traffic, and I ll keep you posted.
But the most important thing is, thanks a lot!
I was able to change the permissions
and I was able to use the Share option - Flash SWF

which is already pretty awesome.
I noticed (sending the morph to myself) that you included some P.R. in
the e-mail... and that people could go and see my morph in the Gallery... I had not expected to see my morph in the gallery, for all to see. Maybe you want to tell people, in case they do not want that.

But I am very very pleased with this, and I will continue learning.

If you have any idea about the Share in GIF, please let me know.
Otherwise, I ll let you know if it ever works.

Thanks a million times,
Sylvie.
shanti8

Postby Ark » Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 am

You may want to save your layout after you get the settings right for the size you want, then close/reopen the program. It may not be overwriting the previous temporary GIF file it created. Again, these bugs should be fixed in the next release v3.10.

Your animation is hosted on Morpheus Galleries when you email it, but there is no link that anybody else can follow to view your animation, other than the one in the email you receive. Anonymous animations are automatically deleted after a period of time, unless you create a Galleries account and move the animation into your account. When you do that, the animation is eligible for the top rated animations and random animations from other users though, and others may be able to find it and view it.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby shanti8 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Thank you Ark, that is very clear!

You have been a great help.
Thanks for everything!

Have a good weekend!
Sylvie.
shanti8

Return to Mac Morpheus