Problem connecting to games, can only see servers

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Problem connecting to games, can only see servers

Postby Frumplefox » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:00 am

Recently a friend of mine and I have been trying to establish an internet based network for playing games that either no longer have an internet option or lack features when playing across the internet. We attempted using Windows XP's built in VPN functionality, but that seems to lack the ability to detect many of the packets sent by most games.

We just recently discovered GIT and decided to give the new version a try. So far we have spent about 6 hours attempting to set it up correctly, but we have made little progress. I hope someone here is able to help me see my mistake.

We were easily able to establish a connection and access each other’s shared folders, but the closest we got to being in game was being able to see each other's game servers, only to be timed out after attempting to connect for over three minutes.

We both have 768/128 DSL from the same provider in the same city, so bandwidth should not be an issue since GIT supposedly works on much slower connections. Both of our network cards are fully functional and selected as the card to use in the GIT advanced settings.

Now as far as setup goes, we are not sure how we should set specific options. We both have IEEE 802.2, IEE 802.3, and Ethernet II selected in the frame type. Is it okay to remove the IEEE variety if we never plan to use IPX? We both have none of the IPX packet types selected, since we do not have the IPX protocol installed to begin with. Under IPv4 we both have TCP and UDP selected, but not ICMP. Which of these do we need to play any standard TCP/IP LAN game?

We tried to use both 'Only if broadcast' on and off, although we had it off for most of our testing, figuring it was best to send too much data, rather than too little. We did not touch the Proxy settings what so ever and we did not use ARP, since I gather it is only needed for very specific situations.

Under the basic configuration options we enabled all IPX sockets (I know, stupid since we didn't have IPX enabled) and we enabled ports 217-65535 for TCP/IP, just to be safe until we get it working and can worry about specifics.

During most of our tests we used the UDP connection. Both of connecting to each other's external IP address on port 213 of both machines. We attempted using the TCP listen, but we could only share files and not even see each other's game servers, so we decided to stick with UDP during most of our attempts.

Now comes the trickier part. My friend's computer is connected directly to the internet whereas I am using a router. Before setting the 'Alter Source IP' correctly in advanced configuration, I was unable to see my friend's servers, and he could not see mine when I attempted to host, although we could share files. After setting it, I could view his servers, but he was still unable to see mine.

I eventually had him enable 'Alter Source' on his machine, despite not having a router just for the heck of it. I had him use his external IP for external and the Auto assigned IP (shown in command prompt if you type ipconfig on a machine without an assigned address) as his internal address. Surprisingly, this allowed him to see any games I hosted, although he also timed out whenever attempting to join them.

At one point I attempted to connect directly to the internet without my router, but this failed as well. Neither of us were able to see each other beyond file sharing. (Note that we were not using the 'Alter Source' option during this test).

I have my router set to DMZ for my machine, which should allow access to all ports from the internet. I do have 213 specifically forwarded, although I doubt this matters with DMZ enabled. No fire walls were enabled on either end during any of this.

One strange thing I did notice was greatly reduced internet speed while connected using GIT. Despite our inability to play any games, our download speed was limited to 128kbps according to internet bandwidth tests while connected.

During most of this time I had logging enabled. The forwarded.log seemed to report things as they should be. It mainly listed UDP, with occasional TCP activity, but all were listed 'ok'.

The unforwarded log was the largest of all (I'm guessing this might be bad?) filled with UDP and TCP labeled 'wrong port number' and a few 'ICMP saying 'wrong protocol type'. All the UDP errors were to port 213 on my friend's machine from my internal IP. The TCP errors were from to an entirely different address from another port on my machine. The ICMP errors were to my internal address at on very high numbered ports (sometimes the same one the game supposedly should use) from my friend's machine. Should I enable ICMP to fix this, or would that merely give me the wrong port number message for ICMP as well.

The incoming log was incredibly small, meaning one hundredth the size of the errors log, but what little traffic did pass through received the 'ok' message and appeared normal.

Sorry for rambling on for so long, but I'm trying to make a some what coherent detailed explanation of my last six hours. I basically am wondering what I have been doing wrong and what the 'wrong port number' errors require me to change. I'm fairly certain that seeing any sign of ICMP at all in the logs indicates I should enable it if I attempt this again, but that still leaves my port error problem unsolved.

I'll provide any information required to solve this problem or run any free network diagnostic tools you can point me towards. I am fairly new to networking, but am fairly advanced in all other aspects of computer usage, so I should be able to obtain any information needed or make any changes you suggest. Thanks for taking time to read this exhaustive post. I'll try to be a bit briefer in my replies to any tips.

- Frumplefox
Frumplefox

Return to GIT