Connection Status window

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Connection Status window

Postby Spider » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:29 am

This is a GIT question, not a game question..

We had GIT working fine between 2 comuters and were playing Brothers in Arms - EIB in Lan mode, but now we can't connect anymore so I'm trying to figure out which computer (router) is having the problem.

Both GIT's were/are configured the same in Configuration screen with each others computers external WAN-IP entered (using UDP-Fastest, Port 213, TCP/UDP 1-212 & 241-65535 forwarded), the Advanced Configuration screens are both the same. Both routers have 213 ports opened up. IP's are not coflicting and Subnet Masks are the same. Note - we both used the Wizard "Generic TCP or UDP" configuration.

I'm believe GIT is configured properly and the router ports are open since we were able to connect for about 2 weeks.

However the Connection Status screen shows that only one computer is receiving packets the other is not.

Computer A - On this "connections status" screen it shows Computer B WAN:213 UP since date, a last packet forwarded date and a last packet received date.

Computer B - On this "connections status" screen it shows Computer A WAN:213 UP since date, a last packet forwarded date, but there is NO last packet recieved information at all. Indicating that Computer B is not receiving packets.

Does this mean that Computer A (and/or Router) is sending packets but these packets are not getting out on the network for Computer B to receive them OR does it mean that Computer B (and/or Router) is blocking the packets from being received from Computer A?

We also put both Routers in "DMZ mode" which I assumed opened up all ports on both Routers. Both firewalls are disabled.

My assumption is if both computers are not showing packets being forwarded and received on the connections status screens, trying to connect via the games LAN mode is useless. (Let me know if this assumption is valid.) All other internet upload/download functions work fine on both computers.

Ark, I'm out of options as to what the problem or cure might be. Any suggestions or options I could try?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)
Spider

Re: Connection Status window

Postby Ark » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:54 am

Spider wrote:Does this mean that Computer A (and/or Router) is sending packets but these packets are not getting out on the network for Computer B to receive them OR does it mean that Computer B (and/or Router) is blocking the packets from being received from Computer A?

It means that the tunneled packet data (traveling on port 213 from GIT A to GIT B) is being sent from GIT A, but not reaching GIT B.
It could be any one of:
* GIT A is sending to the wrong IP address
* GIT B is only accepting traffic from the wrong IP address
* router on B's side is blocking port 213 traffic from reaching the computer running GIT

Check the logs on both ends, you can probably figure out pretty quickly where the packets are getting lost.

Spider wrote:We also put both Routers in "DMZ mode" which I assumed opened up all ports on both Routers. Both firewalls are disabled.

DMZ mode isn't a mode of the router, but a mode you place one (and only one) particular computer in behind the router. DMZ basically forwards all incoming traffic to that computer so you don't have to do individual portmaps. There is no real need to use DMZ. Just make sure port 213 is forwarded from the WAN address on the router to the proper internal/private address of the computer running GIT.

Spider wrote:My assumption is if both computers are not showing packets being forwarded and received on the connections status screens, trying to connect via the games LAN mode is useless. (Let me know if this assumption is valid.) All other internet upload/download functions work fine on both computers.

This is probably a valid assumption if you want a two-way tunnel, which you probably do. (Although technically, I know from experience with Warcraft 3 that you can use a one-way GIT tunnel to tunnel only the broadcast packets from the WC3 server to the WC3 clients, using the alter-source-IP-for-NAT option, and all reverse traffic back to the WC3 server is routed as normal internet traffic, and the entire game plays just fine even if you shut GIT down after all the players have joined the game)
Ark
Site Admin

Return to GIT