Ipx network

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Ipx network

Postby Xslicer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:28 am

I want to play Dungeon Keeper with my brother, only it only supports IPX-network, and we've got an UDP-network (router). I was wondering if i could somehow make an IPX-network, and if i need GIT for that (and how to do that). And how can I check if i've got an IPX protocol?
Xslicer

Postby screamer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:25 am

First of all, what do you mean by:
we've got an UDP-network (router)

I guess there is no only-UDP network (UDP protocol is useless for some tasks). If you have connection to a network then you can use any of protocols (TCP, UDP, IPX) you need/want. Just you and other machine must have installed same protocols.

You can install/check protocols by:
Control Panel > Network Connections > Properties [of selected connection].
You should see something like that:
If you have already instaled IPX protocol then you should see it there (if not, you have to install it by clicking:
Install > Protocol > NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol.

About "how to make IPX-network..." reade Readme.txt of GIT.
screamer

Postby Xslicer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:07 pm

Ah i see! Thnx!! Well the problem actually was my pc could only have 4 IPX-protocols, and my Wireless card was my 5th network card, so it couldn't get the IPX-protocol. I deleted one card and now it works! (Someting like that :? ) Thanks!
Xslicer

Postby itachi » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:25 pm

sorry iam appending my comment to this old post but iam trying to play dungeon keeper via git too. First of all why i have to use git is ipx sometimes needs direct access to the hardware (network card) but windooofs denies direct access through the hal (hardware abstraction layer). So the only possibility is git.
It somehow works, i can find the game but when i click on it you have to wait at least 10 seconds until dk reacts a bit and another 10 sec until you can click join the game. After the game reacts to that you have to wait another 10 seconds to get the message cannot join game ;(((((. Have i done something wrong that this laaags so baadly.
I used a packet sniffer to find out the needed ports.
Ports: 4c98, ba08 (at least i think that this are all ports needed because no other ports showed up in ethereal)
Maybe someone has a useful advice for me. thx
itachi

Return to GIT