Success today

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Success today

Postby karma » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:09 pm

I had success today, with two different people. I'm posting my trials, errors, and eventual success.

Two different people, at different times, asked me via messenger if i could help them with Git. Both said they used to run well between them and a friend, until suddenly things quit working. i suggested setting up a test tunnel between myself & the person.

First step i took was to nitpick each others' LAN connection settings between us, to ensure there were no conflicts. My setup is, gateway/router/firewall is at 192.168.0.10 with two Lan clients, 0.11 and 0.12. The other guy's setup was 192.168.0.1 gateway, 0.5 or 0.100 Lan client. As you see, no conflicts.

Next step, was to nitpick firewall settings. The first guy had two firewalls to deal with...one, his Actiontec cablemodem, and the other, his Windows firewall. Two things were done...Configuring his cablemodem firewall to forwarding port 213 to his machine, and enabling ICMP in Windows firewall. I walked him through each step.

Once ICMP was sorted, we could both ping each other's local addresses, thus clearly establishing the tunnel being up.

Next step... sorting protocol settings (advanced config) for games. We first tested IPX protocol using Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge. IPX protocol was already installed on both of our machines, so we didn't have to go into that. It's important though, that you have IPX installed...or else, duh, you can't use it. At first, we set Git configuration to forward 8000-ffff ipx sockets. My packetsniff did not pick up anything being tunneled...so we switched the setting to 0000-ffff sockets. After tweaking IPX protocol settings in adv cfg, we saw each other only briefly in the Yuri lobby, so something was still wrong. I suggested he go to the options/network settings section, and ensure the adapter selected matched his MAC address. It was not matching at first. After matching the MAC address, we could see each other in the lobby and talk. Next step, launch a game.

Flawless.

Config settings:
Remote IP address
Port 215
IPX sockets 0000-ffff
(No tcp/udp sockets)

Advanced Config settings:
Eth II
Arp
Zlib
TCP,UDP,ICMP
(All 8 IPX packet types checked, didn't work till that point)
Match source port
don't send routable

After a quick comp stomp Yuri game, we switched testing from IPX to UDP. That was much easier...game of choice was Starcraft. Using packet sniff, I found that starcraft uses ports 6111-6112, not only 6112 as the config dialog suggests. Forward 6111-6112 in Git config dialog, for starcraft.

SC config settings:
Remote IP address
Port 215
(No IPX sockets)
TCP/UDP sockets 6111-6112

Adv Cfg settings:
Eth II
Arp
Zlib
(IPX packet types don't matter since we used TCP/UDP not IPX)
TCP,UDP,ICMP
Also match source port
don't send routable

We saw the game lobby, joined a game, but time was of the essence so starcraft never played. Since the lobby worked, it seemed the game would also.

So, these are my success stories for today.
Any questions, comments, feel free.

Return to GIT