Unreal Tournament 2004

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Unreal Tournament 2004

Postby Morgoth80 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:57 pm

Hullo,

After getting WC3 to work, i decided to try my hand at hosting a UT 2004 demo Lan server with a friend who is behind aprettyy strict firewall (he cannot stay logged into MSN for more than 30 minutes ata a time, and torrents are disabled; most of his ports are closed - all beyond his control; the firewall sysop is a fascist)

SO,

he was able to connect via UDP, but not TCP - i ran the server, and he could not see the game i created; the port for UT is 7777. any ideas??
Morgoth80

Postby karma » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:35 am

if the firewall is so strict as to disallow git's udp method, then use tcp connect/listen.

use tcp listen on your end, since your friend has such strict firewall. host your git on a common port, or a known port your friend can get to from inside his firewall (such as 80, 21, 23, 443)

that ought to settle your git connectivity issues. tcp isn't as quick as udp so you'll have a bit of lag due to that.

Postby Morgoth80 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:31 pm

Thanks for the advice, but its the TCP he cant connect to. He can connect via UDP. at any rate ive tried your suggestion and it didnt work... I entered his IP address, is that correct?? if this fails I guess well have to storm the sysop's building.
:evil:
Morgoth80

connecting tcp or udp through firewall

Postby karma » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:38 am

most firewalls (let alone strict ones) won't let udp traffic through, unless a rule is set to allow it. tcp is the best way to establish connection through a strict firewall (screening ports only; a firewall that screens network processes is another matter)

Yes, you use his Internet address. How do you know for sure that he can connect to you using udp? are you exchanging packets through git? with icmp enabled in git advanced config, can you ping his Lan address?

Here is the way to connect git using tcp. Host your git in TCP LISTEN mode on port 443 (normally the https listen port, by the way; you can be almost certain his firewall allows connections to that port). also, forward port 443 in your router/firewall. tell him to set up his git in TCP CONNECT to your ip address on port 443, not 213.

when git says the connection is up, ping his Lan address. that will prove icmp gets through. then forward the correct game ports in git and you should be good to go.

Return to GIT