Road Rash

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Road Rash

Postby Poofman » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:35 am

Has anyone ever tried GIT with Road Rash? We are having a heck of a time with it. We get GIT up, get connected to each other through tcp/ip (was having problems with udp, so for simplicity sake stuck with tcp/ip), shows packets sent and received in tunnel, and will launch the game. We can see each other in the server list, shows he joins for a sec, and on his screen shows joining game, but once that joining game goes away on his side, says he left the game on my side.

We must be very close to the solution, since we can finally after alot of tweaking find each other's games, but just can't get a good connection with it. Any ideas?
Poofman

Postby Poofman » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:07 pm

I'm adding this as a reply to first post, for simple reason that I want someone to notice it.

I've talked to the guys, and here's a possible scenario for anyone interested.

If someone were to take the time to show one of us how to get setup and connected, so that person could show the rest, we'd be willing to make a small donation to this site (or your site if you have one). We have like 12 people lined up to play Road Rash tomorrow night, from 4 different countries. We need to find a way to get ipx set up to run this, and are running out of time. If anyone is interested, we have 2 teamspeak servers running, our own IRC shell/host running, there are many ways we can be contacted.
Poofman

Postby Poofman » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:01 pm

oh well, thanks for all the replies and the help all. Must be a clique thing. If you guys ever play games that don't need help, feel free to look us up, though now you will get as much help there as we did here.
Poofman

Postby Ark » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:14 pm

I do not have the game so I cannot test, but you should be able to use the Generic IPX wizard in GIT 0.99 BETA 4. Just make sure every computer that needs to play the game has the IPX protocol installed, and force their frametypes to 802.2. Only one person per LAN needs to run GIT, unless you use switches instead of hubs, in which case you may need each person to run GIT. In any case, the GIT wizard will tell you which ports to open in your firewall to allow the GITs to connect. It is best if you use UDP to connect, sinc e its a lot faster.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Poofman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:17 am

appreciated man, sorry was getting frustrated. We're so freaking close it's not funny.

A new question. When either of us host, game says we are ipx addy 12345678:000000000001

What I'm thinking, is the game thinks we're the same computer, since we have the same number. He's changing to 12345679 for subnet, and we're going to try that. Are we on the right track?
Poofman

Postby Ark » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:57 pm

IPX addresses are different from IP addresses, but you still need the same basic concept of all being in the same "subnet". The "subnet" for IPX addresses is the "network number" which is the 32bit value to the left of the colon there. Did you set it to 12345678 on each computer for some reason? Typically that defaults to 0 and it works best if you just leave it 0, because the address portion of your IPX address on the right of the colon is the same as your ethernet's MAC address (48 bit value).
You absolutely all must have the same network number, so just use 0 for that.
For the part you list 000000000001, that is not correct because it should be a larger number. The first 24 bits are based on the manufacturer of the network card you have, and the last 24 bits are a serial number of the card that should make that 48bit value always unique.
Ark
Site Admin

Return to GIT