odd problem with Starcraft with 1 pc

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

odd problem with Starcraft with 1 pc

Postby Woodsielord » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:16 pm

Hi there, I'm having trouble with one of my PCs networking and I'm needing some help.

note 0: GIT its installed on PIV only
note 1: Starcraft did work except for the issue.
note 2: AVP2 works great in the entire network (my both PCs and the other side's), so... GITs see each other, no por forwarding issues I assume.
note 3: the problems are likely to be mine. GIT is running in 'PIV'
note 4:this is our network configuration.
---
I'm the guy with 2 PCs behind a smoothwall. I named PII (pentium 2) and PIV (obvious).
:arrow: The problem here: my PIV (where GIT runs) cant Join games, or also if I host a game here, my friend cant join it. (starcraft error message "unable to join game") BUT my PII works great joining or hosting without GIT installed on it.
What we tryed:
* Changing internal IPs (my friend's PC and PIV had the same IP once)
* Reinstalling PIV network card and protocols.

observation 1: I think GITs are just fine, because PII could HOST perfectly with the GIT installed on PIV.
observation 2: concerning PIV and the rest, Games can be seen but can't be joined. The installed network protocols in PIV are the same in PII.

Additional data about IPs Here.

Ark, could you give me a hand? thanks a lot.
Woodsielord

Postby Ark » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:38 pm

You have an IP address conflict - 192.168.0.1 is assigned twice in your virtual network. If you are forwarding all traffic (unicast packets) or ARP or ICMP, you have a broken network.
You must pretend that all physical networks are one virtual network, and nothing at all can have an IP conflict.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ark » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:40 pm

Also, your firewall/router type device only needs to be forwarding port 213, unless you are trying to set up a situation where you only forward broadcast traffic like the WC3 example, which doesn't work for many games it seems.
For games like WC3, you can get away with GIT just tunneling broadcast traffic, and then your router needs to forward port 213 as well as the WC3 specific ports.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Woodsielord » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:26 pm

Thanks for the reply Ark, I'll try changing my shooth's IP next time, but really I don't underestund. Why does the GIT work if playing with PII if its also behind the smoothwall? It should have the same IP conflict don't you think?
Woodsielord.
Woodsielord

Return to GIT