GIT Crashing my connection and my friend's connection !!

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

GIT Crashing my connection and my friend's connection !!

Postby scarface » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:23 am

Yesterday me and my friend downloaded GIT beta to play brothers in arms. We managed to connect succesfully however our connection crashed with GIT when it is enabled even if we r not in game !

I am behind a NAT modem however my friend is normally connected

Please can anyone tell me what's the problem ? I really want to play to brothers in arms :(
scarface

Postby Ark » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:23 am

Your "connection" crashed? Please explain what exactly that means in more detail.
Unless you do not have WinpCap installed properly, GIT will not crash. I recommened WinpCap 3.0 stable with GIT 0.99B4.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby scarface » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:24 am

i get disconnected from my modem. i.e. 10.0.0.138 which is my modem address will be no longer available. i will have to restart my pc and then the modem functions again.

i dont know about winpcap ... how do i know if its installed properly ? i just installed it at the end of the GIT installation, thats all.
scarface

Postby Ark » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:58 am

The trouble is likely to be with your modem, not with GIT, unless you use some weird PPPoE software that WinpCap doesn't like. Typically you should always try to set your LAN up so its just an ethernet card with an IP address and your computer doesn't know one way or another if the ethernet card is connected to a router, a cable modem, or a dsl modem. Its possible that you configured GIT somehow to forward too much data, such as forwarding its own ports in an infinite loop, and your modem shuts down when it gets too much traffic for some reason. Again, its not a problem with GIT, just how you configure it or how your modem handles a flood of traffic.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby scarface » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:14 pm

i am assuming that this is the problem

"Its possible that you configured GIT somehow to forward too much data, such as forwarding its own ports in an infinite loop"

what settings do i have to check for that ?
scarface

Postby Ark » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:20 pm

Check that you did not forward the port you are connecting the tunnel on (213 by default).
Check that you do not have other software running (like a VPN) that could be duplicating traffic.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby scarface » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:01 pm

ah ok .. does forward sockets affect ?
scarface

Postby Ark » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:00 pm

Sockets are to IPX/SPX packets as Ports are to TCP/UDP packets. Unless you have the IPX protocol installed and are using a program that uses IPX, there isn't going to be any IPX traffic on your network, so nothing you set to forward there is going to matter. IPX is only used by old games generally, before the Internet even, so many of those games have no normal way to play across the Internet, which is what GITs first purpose was (specifically, just to tunnel IPX packets).
Ark
Site Admin

Postby scarface » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:20 pm

10x alot m8
:)
scarface

Return to GIT