GIT connection through SSH tunneling - possible?

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

GIT connection through SSH tunneling - possible?

Postby Gamer333 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:56 am

First: why use SSH -tunneling for GIT?
A: I'm stuck behind university firewall that doesn't allow direct incoming connection to my otherwise public IP (non-NAT) address. The only way to get to my machine is using a tunnel via my universitys unix-ssh server. The firewall DOES allow returning traffic my ip (makes possible to use http etc.).

What I have done so far: from the remote (ie. my friends) computer we have tunneled all traffic to localhost:11110 to my computers port 11110. GIT on my machine is set to TCP listen server to allow all incoming connections on port 11110. The remote computers GIT is set to TCP connect to localhost:11110 (!). As you can imagine, it didn't work. My guess is that the SSH-client (which is listening on localhost:11110) is interfering with GIT-function by taking up the same port that GIT also "listens", although the mode is TCP _connect_.

Other possibility is that advanced configurations in GIT are a wrong.

Also it is possible that my SSH-server isn't letting me port forward to 11110 for some reason. this shouldn't be a big problem, though..(?)

So, if anyone has a solution then please reply. If you have any suggestions, please reply.

Also if you have a way to connect vice versa to my friends computer so that all traffic is interpreted as replies to my ip-packets then this is also acceptable, because my friend has a firewall-free NAT-free connection. Can GIT do it (TCP listen/connect ect...), I doubt it.

Thanks!
Gamer333

Return to GIT