GIT over PPP adapter? Not encapsulating packets?

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

GIT over PPP adapter? Not encapsulating packets?

Postby azuur » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:27 pm

I have been trying to get Lord of the Rings to work, apparently from reading the rather long thread above it doesn't care much for NAT's.

To get around that, I have a friend PPTP into my network, and then we run GIT to each others IP's on my network.

His computer receives my packets. GIT packs up the broadcasts, and sends them to his IP on my LAN. I notice there is no dropdown option to select a PPP adapter, which I thought may be the problem.

Network capture showed nothing other then the UDP Broadcasts from the game, GIT didn't seem to be encapsulating them over the LAN adapter or PPP adapter.

Does having a PPTP connection running prevent GIT from encapsulating anything?

I assume both sides should be set to the same port for UDP-Fastest, right?

What would prevent his end from encapsulating the packets? (yes its enabled)
azuur

Postby azuur » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:35 pm

Seems he didn't reboot after installing GIT, then crashed shortly later

Going to uninstall and reinstall GIT and WinpCap, verify he can select his adapter, and try again.

I understand that GIT should work without VPN etc, but its a lot easier and more secure then messing with my firewall.

I'm hoping to use GIT to encapsulate the broadcast packets that normall wouldn't be routed through my VPN server.
azuur

Postby azuur » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:26 pm

Yah the reboot helped :)

We can now see each other in the lounge, but when I connect I get a timeout, when he connects he gets a version missmatch (even though we have the exact same version I checked).

Took captures from both our PC's, and a log of unforwarded packets.
azuur

Postby sickdm » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:31 pm

Instead of the PPP interface, try selecting your network card. Often games dont send out/listen for packets on PPP interfaces.

Also sounds like you aren't able to ping your friend's local LAN IP from your computer. Can you?

If you want to email me your logs/etc, drop a line at bytehedd@yahoo.com
sickdm

Return to GIT