GIT for Linux?

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

GIT for Linux?

Postby Bionic » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:58 pm

As Linux Gateways are very popular and catching/creating raw packets on Linux is not that problem... is there any chance for a GIT for Linux?

Best regards,

Bionic
Bionic

Postby Ark » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:10 pm

I do not have any plans to reimplement GIT for Linux but if anybody wants to volunteer, I will provide specs as to the protocol needed to communicate with GIT for Windows.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Bionic » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:50 pm

That's cool, I'll come back to you when I took a deeper look into Linux networking.

Bionic
Bionic

Postby xFallenAngel » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:27 am

If I understand this correctly, GIT can proxy any type of connection or socket over any type of protocol. I could very well use a linux port of this, if it could help me in the following scenario:

I have a very restrictive firewall where i study, that dosen't allow incoming udp packets. I want to be able to use sip voIP services, and am looking for a solution to extend the following that i have come to:

My box, should relay tcp and udp packets in a tcp packet to a predefined port (that is open for me to connect outwards) of a linux server. If I do not find a such port, I will also have to pipe the connection through an ssh forward, so it should be possible to forward all tcp and udp data, *except* for the data to this port.

The linux server should then be able to extract this data again, NAT the packets to its external ip, and make the connections. I have access to a dedicated ip, so all incoming packets on this ip should in turn be routed through the ssh connection, and be taken apart in GIT again.

Can you follow what I mean? Is this possible with GIT? The only other solution i found that translates to TCP is java based - I don't like java :)

Note: I would try to get a linux port running if i find time, if this is possible.
xFallenAngel

Postby sickdm » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:12 am

SSH-forwarding VOIP traffic will likely work terribly.

Your UDP tunnelling idea is probably the best bet. Look around some more though, there might be some VPN package that allows you to tunnel things this way.

I've actually dealt with a similar issue at my school, just with port 21 for FTP and AOL AIM, and they've ended up adding these ports to the allowed list. You should maybe contact the IT dept and ask them to allow VOIP - they should, they aren't your local phone company afterall :)

-Anthony
sickdm

Postby xFallenAngel » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:49 am

I may have no other choice. I don't know how you got to udp forward, they don't allow incoming udp packets.

I'm still looking for a nice port thats open, but most stuff runs over a http proxy server. A tcp/udp to http-query would be fun :P

The IT department says that VPN is not possible (my first attempt to circumvent their proxies), I might write to them again b/c of voip. They didn't listen the first time.

Since its their bandwidth, they can do what they want, and they want to restrict it "for research use only".
xFallenAngel

Postby sickdm » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:38 am

I meant, ask them about VOIP traffic instead. Make up some good reason.
sickdm

Return to GIT