Starcraft (yes, agaaaain)

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Starcraft (yes, agaaaain)

Postby Virus » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:02 pm

I know that this has been asked a lot but i've read all the topics I could find and my starcraft isn't yet working.

The tunnel works, either by tcp or by udp. The problem is that we won't see us when we create a game (we are only 2 trying to play). If the GIT says we are connnected, hen i suppose it is not a problem of configuration, isn't it?

Just in case i post the screens:

The images show tcp but if we use udp we get the same results.

He is behind a router (it's set up) and i'm behind Sygate Pers Firewall Pro (allowing all the traffic from/to his ip through all the ports).

So, we get to connect but we don't see each other, ¿any help?
Virus

Postby Woodsielord » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:27 pm

Hi there, I'm Virus's partner trying to make starcraft work!
Like virus said I'm behind a router. I think I done the routes fine because we can connect GIT easily...
What I'm not sure about is the GIT config concerning the NAT thing:
Woodsielord

Postby dbldown768 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:39 pm

ok, im very new to GIT but i got C&C Generals working, and i know that was a tuff game to get going.

i followed a previous post that seemed to work. First off we created our lans to be of the same subnet. for example, choose 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.xxx either way... if one persons is different committ to changing to your friends subnet.

next you will need to port forward the GIT port - thats it (at least for me). then all the packets that need to be sent will go through that port. so log into your router and port forward to the machine that is running GIT.

as far as the config goes. I put my friends IP and used 213 udp (default) to connet.

here was my post:
viewtopic.php?t=371

then the advance config, i check ONLY this boxes.
Ether II
Forward ARP
TCP, UDP, ICMP
Also match source port

everything else is unchecked. (note: im doing this all from memory as im at work.)

then once git is running you should be able to ping your friends machine if it is setup properly. if that works, then u should be good. just remember to put in the games ports in the config sections as i dont know what they are.
dbldown768

Postby Woodsielord » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:53 pm

thanks a lot for your answer! let me ask you something, when you say
then once git is running you should be able to ping your friends machine if it is setup properly
you mean we should be able to ping ourselves by our INTERNAL IPs ? < like a VPN? >
Thanks again.
Woodsielord

Postby dbldown768 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:57 pm

yeah...so if your ip is 192.168.0.150 and your friends is 192.168.0.201 you should be able to open a command prompt and ping that IP address... you basically created one network
dbldown768

Postby Ark » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:23 pm

dbldown768 wrote:yeah...so if your ip is 192.168.0.150 and your friends is 192.168.0.201 you should be able to open a command prompt and ping that IP address... you basically created one network

But not if you check the 'Alter source IP for NAT' option, of course.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Virus » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:42 pm

As i am not in a LAN i don't have an internal ip. Woodsielord does (and i can't ping him neither his router) but i don't.

The only ip i have is the one that my ISP gave me.

Ark wrote:But not if you check the 'Alter source IP for NAT' option, of course.

¿Should we check them?
Virus

Postby Ark » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:58 pm

Virus wrote:As i am not in a LAN i don't have an internal ip. Woodsielord does (and i can't ping him neither his router) but i don't.

The only ip i have is the one that my ISP gave me.

Ark wrote:But not if you check the 'Alter source IP for NAT' option, of course.

¿Should we check them?

That depends on what you want to do. Normally, you do NOT need or want to check that option, if what you want to do is create 1 network from 2 like a vpn. But doing that also requires that you both use NAT and use the same subnet, so BOTH people will need to use 192.168.0.x in this case, and NO IPs can overlap, including all routers/etc.

It is still possible to play many games without doing all of that, but some games, like AoM, absoluty require that you all use NAT and be on the same subnet. WC3, for example, can work regardless of NAT or not on each computer, and can benefit from that alter source IP, as the example in the readme shows.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Woodsielord » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:20 pm

I'm confused, whats going on if someone has no internal IP? If I'm not wrong Virus has only 1 ethernet adapter conected to the ISP bridge/dsl modem, so the Ethernet's IPs are actually the external ones.
Anyways, while having GIT connected he tryed to ping me (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.101) without success.
Woodsielord

Postby dbldown768 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:14 pm

well since im so new to the software i dont know how to use the "alter source IP" or what that will accomplish....since it seemed that was the only way for C&C to work, i just setup our subnets the same..

in your case your friend just has an external IP, so sounds like you might have to use the Alter source IP on the HOST computer... just a guess

So maybe it does something like this

HOST PC -> sends packet(192.168.0.100) -> Git changes it to your external IP -> 14.185.184.158 --- > forward to your friends -> who only knows of your external IP so when he routes it back it goes directly to your external IP

just a guess if u can understan that.

oh, and bTW, it is weird you are suggesting your IP to be 192.168.0.1... that is normally a router. Also, if your router is setup to block outside pings your friend is not going to get a response. Most routers dont allow you to ping them due to people just trying to ping random IPs and looking for a response. thats how people hack into stuff.

trying to help as much as possible because when i was trying to figure this thing out, i didnt get any.
dbldown768

Postby Woodsielord » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:28 pm

thanks again for the answer...
We are testing and we discovered that we are sending and recieving the starcraft IPX packets, but we cant see any game created.
What we just did:
Open the game and left it there in the "lobby" (both of us) and check with the logging tools if we are "exchanging" the packets, and actually we are!! but something's wrong because we dont see each other inside the game...
werid...
I should test a bit more with the "alter source IP" feature...
--------------------------------
-EDIT-

Wow! Finally we did it! After implementing "Alter source IP" from both sides, we played starcraft for 45 minutes without any lag!
Thanks a lot for helping!
Woodsielord

Alter source ip

Postby pbs2000 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:35 am

So what did you actually do with alter source ip? I am having same problem with red alert 2.
pbs2000

Postby Virus » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:47 pm

Alter source -> in internal you write the ip of your network card and in external you internet ip
Virus

Postby jago » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:32 pm

i started using GIT as soon as i heard of it. the first game i tried was starcraft. i successfully got it to work after a few searches and some trial and error. so i thought i'd post my findings.

when zonealarm resuested that starcraft access the net, i took notice of the port number. it was port 6111. 1 below the advertised port range! so i added the ports 6111 to 6119 to GIT and it worked. i was able to play with a comp directly connected to the net -> a comp behind a router (with port forwarding of course.)
jago

Return to GIT