help for battle for middle-eart

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Postby thudo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:58 am

Costinha, why are you showing a PPP Adapter? Is that the LoopBack as you said you weren't using? I noticed both your subnet masks are the same for both machines (yours and your local friend)? Should subnets be the same for any computer that wishes to connect to BfmE using GiT? I'm assuming yes.

Can you elaborate the steps you took to get BfmE to work over the Internet in a LAN setting? This would be sooo appreciated to all of us who are desperately trying to get this working! Thanx!
thudo

Subnet

Postby aspvr » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:09 pm

Me and My Firend We both use the same subnet 255.255.255.0 and no go
so i dont think thats it
we even changed our local adapter ip to 192.168.1.1 for me and 192.168.1.2 For him but no luck so i dont really now what the problem is
aspvr

Postby -=HYDRA=- » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:45 am

Anyone solved this yet, who can write an easy and clean tutorial abuot how to configure it for BFME?

I tried with my brother, using the settings described here. I can see him and his chat msgs in lobby, but he can't see me.

Config for this game would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
-=HYDRA=-

Postby thudo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:02 am

WE GOT IT WORKING! Used: GiT 0.99f (latest) release..

Network setup:
Me: Behind Router/NAT (see my sig below!) - Later, got it working having to go DirectConnect.
Buddy: DirectConnect to Inet.

We got it working by DirectConnecting to the Internet (No NAT on my side).

If I tried to stay NATed to my Router here's what happened: I could connect to his NETWORK game, edit my details, but when we started the game I COULD NOT SEE HIS GAME PROGRESS as the game loaded and when I reached 100% it would say: "Other Player Disconnected" and it timed down until I got into the game but my buddy (who created the game) was already disconnected and still sitting at the 100% progress window.

I tried going into the DMZ, open Ports 8088-208088.. nothing. He couldn't even join my games without it quickly timing out as per usual before entering my game. As mentioned above, I could join him. It was as if he wasn't sending data packets to me just as the game was loading.

Here is how GiT looked for us (note: we used the wizard to create a Generic TCP/UDP profile adding both our IPs when asked):

Configuration

Advanced Configuration

Because it was timing out during the LOAD PHASE into the game with my behind my NAT, I decided to go directconnect to da net, with the same config as above and this time when I joined his Network game and the game started to load then guess what? The PROGRESS WINDOW showed his progress so I knew the problem was NAT related. With both of us direct-connected, the game loaded fine and we played flawlessly for 2 hours. No problems.

Now, HOW THE HECK DO I GET BfmE to work behind my Router/NAT? Anyone have any suggestions as this is big that it now works with the above settings (for us at least)? I need this to work with my behind my Router/NAT so is there something either in my Router or in GiT I forgot to use. Please notice my GiT settings above and let me know ASAP any suggestions. WE'RE ALMOST THERE! Just need to figure out why it works with both of us direct-connected vs me behind a Router and it timing out not showing his Load Progress during the game starting.
thudo

Postby -=HYDRA=- » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:41 am

Can't get it to work, still. Not with the settings above either.

I'm on direct connect to internet, and my brother is too. He uses PPPoE to connect to internet, is that a problem? So he configures his local IP on his network card, and I use a loopback device. I can see HIM in lobby, and his chat msgs and stuff, he can't see me at all.

Are there any known problems with for example zone alarm? PPPoE connections?

Should I be using my loopback (local IP) device or the true net (WAN IP) device in the advanced config device list?

Sigh, we're almost there.... annoying.
-=HYDRA=-

Postby thudo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:10 pm

Hmm.. PPPoE shouldn't make a difference (we're both high-speed cable) and NO WE DID NOT USE THAT LOOPBACK! We wanted to keep it as simple to ensure it was easy to replicate. Oh and.. DISABLE ZONE ALARM (at least for running BfmE) and NO LOOPBACK.. Period! And ensure NO WinXP Firewall! MAKE SURE ITS TURNED OFF!

As before, I was able to connect to his game behind my NAT but we just couldn't get into the actual game without it timing out just as we started to play. Only way was for me to direct-connect to the net and it was good ergo, it was all a NAT problem on my end.

So, anyone here know how to perhaps deal with this issue? How to get GiT to work behind a Router/NAT in BfmE as mentioned in my last message above? We're almost there..

When using a Router/NAT should I use the 'Alter Souce IP (for NAT)'?
thudo

Postby -=HYDRA=- » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:49 pm

But If I don't have the loopback, I only have one IP in IPconfig. My wan.

Don't I need two IPs? like one 192.168.x.x and another WAN like 81.xx.xx.xx ???

I use ADSL-2, 24Mbit connection.

Edit: Ok, I removed the loopback device and I can still see my brother in game lobby. So I guess something is wrong at his end... question is WHAT!
-=HYDRA=-

Postby thudo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:03 pm

Actually, NO LOOPBACK, No Second IP (that was only for getting War40k: Dawn of War to work when a player has a NAT and is the mid-player connecting in a group), No Zone Alarm, No WinXP Firewall running.. perhaps its his PPPoE software? Is it the same as yours? Configured the same way? Make sure and check!

Btw, rerun the GiT wizard and let it redo your settings when using Generic TCP/UDP.. maybe something in our config doesn't work for u. We were just tinkering with what you saw. It should work: worked for us at least DirectConnected! Waiting on the community here to determine what it might be to get the Router/NAT problem resolved.
thudo

Postby -=HYDRA=- » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:07 pm

I don't use PPPoE with my connection.

I have a single network device on my system, that speaks to my modem, which deals with the settings.

Do we both have to use PPPoE??
-=HYDRA=-

Postby thudo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:15 pm

U mean yer DSL modem has a built-on PPPoE client that auto-logs you in like a Router/NAT could? Hhrrmmm.. if that the case then YOU AREN'T direct-connected as chance these days are since yer on ADSL-2 then you have a next-gen DSL modem that has a Router/NAT built-in. If so, you'll have to use external PPPoE software and see if that works. Just as a test of course. Can you log into your DSL modem? Does it have options for Port Forwarding, DMZ, etc? If so, its a Modem/Router/NAT. Check the make/model of it and do a google search to see what it is.

Edit: When you said "a network device that speaks to my modem" do you mean a Router/NAT? If so, try it without this "network device" and go direct to the DSL Modem by interfacing it with your ISP's own PPPoE software. Likely its the bloody router (which I am trying to figure out why it won't go the final mile.. Grrrrrr!)
thudo

Postby -=HYDRA=- » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:59 am

I only have a network card, with a cable to my modem. My modem deals with the settings... hmm Ok I think I understand...

No I cant login to my modem and change any settings ports etc, but I never had any problems with it so I dont think it's blocking anything. I'm pretty sure it isnt.

Thanks for info, I'll keep trying and waiting for a complete solution.
-=HYDRA=-

Postby thudo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:37 pm

Hmm.. I think ADSL-2 doesn't use the usual PPPoE login protocols like old ADSL. I take it you don't need to put in a username/password for any login except for getting mail? Does your colleague have the same, ADSL-2? Make sure he mimics exactly your settings. It should work fine.

Btw, think everyone is on holidays so have to wait after Christmas!
thudo

Postby Ironcraft » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:51 pm

Clueless wrote:Also i've tried OpenVPN which worked pretty well, we could ping each other and have ssen us in Network Neighborhood (wasnt able with git connection) but the Games seems tu care a fu*king sh*t about this Connection, we dont see us at all in Games.

I also tried it with OpenVPN in bridging mode, so all broadcasts are transmitted. But as far as I see (both sides are nated), the source addresse of the broadcast is the IP of the physical NIC and not of the VPN-endpoint (the TAP device) of the Windows workstation, so the packets never find back.

Is it maybe possible to NAT the IPs on a windows network device ?
Got that to work, see my next posting

Greetz,
Thomas
Last edited by Ironcraft on Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironcraft

Postby -=HYDRA=- » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:45 am

You're right, I don't have to type in username/pass whatever. I'm simply online all the time.

My brother (whom I'm trying to play with) does not have ADSL-2, he has ordinary ADSL with PPPoE client. (username/pass)

So I guess it would be hard to match our settings exactly... :(

I had no idea you had to be on the same type of connection to use GIT though?

Anyways happy holidays, I'm gonna wait until after christmas. Hopefully someone gets this game as a christmas gift, and figures out a good config for it. 8)
-=HYDRA=-

Postby Ironcraft » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:34 am

-=HYDRA=- wrote:My brother (whom I'm trying to play with) does not have ADSL-2, he has ordinary ADSL with PPPoE client. (username/pass)

So he gets a private ip adress with the PPPOE client and is routed through that connection to the internet ?

Happy X-Mas
Ironcraft

PreviousNext

Return to GIT