Diablo/Hellfire and GIT

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Diablo/Hellfire and GIT

Postby Malla » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:33 pm

Hi everyone,

a few days ago, I tried to play Hellfire via Internet with GIT (0.98). After a couple of hours we managed it to work. We have no problems to join a game and play together, everything works fine. Even the latency is very low, it is almost like playing Diablo on battle.net.

But then we tried to play with three players and we have experienced some problems. It is unplayable, because of the horrible lag. We even have problems to move our heroes, and after a few minutes at least one of us drops out of the game. (no, it doesn't matter WHO is in the game, as long as there are only two players, everything works fine, but when the third player is joining, this terrible lag comes up...)

Here some configuration screenshots:

What we have already tried:
We messed around with these settings, forwarded ALL IPX sockets, but then we noticed that Diablo and Hellfire use the same sockets as Starcraft. We also tried TCP, but then we had this lag with two players in the game, too. We tried to forward all IPX packet types, to "look into Ethernet II frame types" and to "forward all IPv4 protocols" as well.

We have forwarded all the ports on our routers and disabled the firewalls for these ports, but I don't think that's the problem, as we are all able to play in a two player game.

Btw: We are using three different ports (213-215) for our connections (A->B: 213, A->C: 214, B->A:213, B->C: 215, C->A: 214, C->B:215)

The strange thing about our problem is, that everything works perfectly - as long as two players are in the game. No matter who, everyone is able to play with everyone, but when the third person is joining the game, the lag comes up. :(

I hope there is anyone out there who is able to help.

best regards
Malla

P.S: GIT is a very useful tool, keep up the good work! :)
Malla

Postby Ark » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:42 pm

Try GIT 0.99 BETA 3, it has better reforward prevention, ZLib compression, and you can also try forwarding ARP packets.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Malla » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:45 pm

Thanks for your help!
We have tried GIT 0.99 Beta 3 now and it seems to work better (the screenshots above are updated). We were able to move around in the town without lag. Then we went down to the dungeon and the lag starts again. :(
We will test it again tomorrow to get sure everything was configured properly.

Btw: It is also possible to play Hellfire on Kali. I haven't tested it yet, but I think they use the same method (I think this is the only one ^^).
If it is possible to play with 4 people over Kali without lag, it should be possible to do so with GIT as well, shoudln't it?
Malla

Set one machine as a server

Postby RedNight » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:21 pm

have one machine run as a central tcp server, and have the others connect only to the one tcp server, pick the person who has the best overall ping time to the others, to be the server
a-b
a-c
a-d
and so on

I see looping problems the other way

plus I have found that even behind a nat router, as long as the port forwarding is set correctly, this will work, plus the added benefit of being able to connect multiple private lans together, so only one machine running GIT on each private lan, can link every lan player.

ex) private lan one with 4 players can see all players on private lan two with 5 players, with only two machines using GIT to bridge them.
RedNight

Re:

Postby Paramedic12 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Ark wrote:Try GIT 0.99 BETA 3, it has better reforward prevention, ZLib compression, and you can also try forwarding ARP packets.

GIT is actually working fine for me.

While waiting for Diablo 3 to be released, I started playing Diablo 2 and used GIT. Even if it's old, its still working fine for me.
Paramedic12

Return to GIT