Difficulties with Starcraft

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Difficulties with Starcraft

Postby m0ik » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:17 am

Hi, I've been struggling to get this program to work for ages. I'm not really competent to use it, so I wonder if someone might be able to help. My friend and I are behind firewalls, but both of our routers are on DMZ and games seem to work when one of us hosts and the other joins. I am trying to get starcraft to work, and I do not know settings that will work. If I do TCP/IP connection, "connection status" shows that I can read him. However, games don't show up in the starcraft LAN. I have the GIT config forwarding IPX, listening TCP/IP (while my friend is on connect) and it seems like it should be working. Help?
m0ik

Postby huwkka » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:37 am

On the server check the checkbox "be tcp listen server..." and on the clients yust use tcp connect. Then check for working git bridge on Connection status when right-clicking the icon in taskbar. There should be connection established.. If it is then your git bridge is working.

Now set tcp/udp forward or ipx forward to all ports/sockets, depending on which protocol your game uses. Now if it does not work, you are in the same situation as i, the git bridge is working but i cannot seem to use it.
huwkka

Postby Ark » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:50 am

Its highly unlikely that just randomly forwarding everything like that will cause a particular game to just suddenly work. Differences in networks and IPs and NAT and firewalls can all affect what other settings you may need to set.
Also, please try GIT 0.99 BETA 3 instead of GIT 0.98
And finally, tcp listen serer/tcp connect can be VERY slow compared to using UDP to connect GIT, and some games will be unable to work over a TCP GIT connection.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby m0ik » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:36 pm

I have gotten .99 beta 3, but why are the only 3 games there "age of mythology", "warcraft II" and "warcraft III"?
m0ik

Postby Ark » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:35 pm

Those are games I wrote wizard scripts for. GIT supports every game since all you need to know is the port numbers. Port numbers that users have submitted as known-correct sets or that I have personally verified as correct are listed in the config window dropdowns for other games too.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Roberticus » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:22 am

well how I got SC to work is by using the newest GIT, and then using the wizard:
Generic TCP or UDP
then you choose your real network card

then you write your own IP adress in the "What is your Hostname or IP adress". You can get your ip adress from here: [/url]www.whatismyip.com[url]
then you write your mates IP adresses and you own in the box below

then you're done with GIT

SC>Multiplayer>(Brood War)>Local Area Network (UDP)>choose name>create/join>enjoy!

(This is how I and my friend got it to work)
Roberticus

Postby jago » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:31 pm

i started using GIT as soon as i heard of it. the first game i tried was starcraft. i successfully got it to work after a few searches and some trial and error. so i thought i'd post my findings.

when zonealarm resuested that starcraft access the net, i took notice of the port number. it was port 6111. 1 below the advertised port range! so i added the ports 6111 to 6119 to GIT and it worked. i was able to play with a comp directly connected to the net -> a comp behind a router (with port forwarding of course.)
jago

Return to GIT