How to connect 2 or more LAN's with GIT?

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

How to connect 2 or more LAN's with GIT?

Postby Banyadir » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:28 am

Hi,

yesterday i tried to connect the first time 2 LAN's with GIT.
After two hours we had successfully connected git, but not the LAN's. The connection status showed connected, but i couldn't interact wit the other LAN.

Now some questions:

- If i have a connect with git should i get icmp replies from the other internal IP?

- Must both PC's that i try to connect in the same LAN? For example PC1 and PC2. PC1 has an internal IP of 192.168.14.1. Must PC2 have a 192.168.14.x IP or could he have something else?

- Both PC's are directly connected with the DSL modem. Do i have to configure the "Alter Source IP (for NAT)"? Which value has to be provided in the second field? I think it should be my external ip, or? Can i use a dyndns name in this field? The other user has to set up his or my external IP in this field?

I hope for some answers.

Banyadir

P.S.: A manual would be nice, with a short description of the settings. Just a wish. =)
Banyadir

Postby Ark » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:51 am

If you checked the ICMP option, you might be able to ping the other computers. By default ICMP is not checked.

The computers dont have to be in the same LAN for GIT to work, but some applications may only work properly if you set it up like that.

Alter source IP alters your packets source address. You don't want that just because you are using NAT. Some setups will need it and some won't, depending on what you are trying to do. If you aren't using NAT you don't need it though.
You can use any DNS name you want, it will be resolved as needed, so dyndns names work fine.

There is a readme.txt, but if that is not enough, feel free to donate a better manual.
Ark
Site Admin

Return to GIT