0.99 BETA 3

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

0.99 BETA 3

Postby Ark » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:26 pm

Whats new:
* UDP hosts no longer show 'last packet received from 0.0.0.0' in config status if no packets received.
* Wizard supports a Back button, although scripts could produce screwy behaviour using this, scripts can also behave nicely if they want to.
* Wizard now clears heading/subheading after each page
* Added a few known port numbers to the dropdown in the config window (taken from CalliduS's post).
* Wizard option to save current settings to a profile script
* ZLib compression
* Synchronization with packets in TCP streams so it no longer assumes 1 packet inside of 1 packet (which the naggle algorithm will break GIT with when using TCP for the GIT connection) GIT would still assume 1 packet per packet with UDP. Fragmented UDP packets will result in a shortened packet being rebroadcast followed by some garbage GIT will probably ignore.
* Both the previous two will mean GIT no longer encapsulates a raw packet inside of a packet: GIT will introduce a small (2 byte) header between each packet to determine its length properly. This means 0.99b3 will not work with 0.99b2 and below properly - each side will spew garbage packets onto the network if used together.

What did not make it:
* Bandwidth monitoring? maybe? Over what time period? Bytes sent since tunnel was started? Or average over the last X seconds? How long is X so that you can alt-tab/quit from a program to look at GIT and still see a meaningful number? I'm not doing a graph! This probably won't make it in unless its really simple.

Here is 0.99 BETA 3:
http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/Git-099b3.exe
Last edited by Ark on Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby CalliduS » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:09 pm

Nice work Ark. Glad your active on GIT.
Dunno if I stated before but War Hammer: Dawn of War also uses port 6112 (same as Warcraft3)
I'll have the port for Rome Total war soon. Once I get it installed.
Cheers again on this work.

Do we still use Winpcap 3.0 ?
CalliduS

Postby Ark » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:22 pm

As of the 0.99b2 you can use the 3.1 beta Winpcap, but I will still include 3.0 with the GIT installer for now.
I'm still not sure on the bandwidth monitoring.
Zlib compression is almost complete.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby CalliduS » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:25 pm

Ark, would it help if I installed and used a prog called Analyzer ? http://analyzer.polito.it/30alpha/download.htm
I had a quick look and it can log packets. Might be of some use if I run it then send u the logs ?
I dont really know how it works but if you guide me I can try and help.
Its all very :shock: :oops: :cry: to me :D
Last edited by CalliduS on Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalliduS

Postby Ark » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:34 pm

Whats it do? I don't see what we need it for.

What I'm most interested in is known-working-port numbers to put in the dropdown list, and also working .git wizard scripts.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby CalliduS » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:48 pm

Thought it might be useful in logging the packets being sent and received from a game so you can see how big they are etc.
Like I said I don't know how GIT works or anything about network traffic. Thought it might help to find out why so much bandwidth was being taken up when playing an 8 player game of Dawn of War (6 players on 1 LAN and 2 on the other LAN). I dont know how much bandwidth was being used but while trying to do a DOS ping to an internet IP (IP of an online counter-strike server) that normally pings at 20-30ms, it was pinging 1000ms+ or just timming out while the 8 player game was going.
I know that Strats use far less bandwidth than FPS style games such as CS or Call of Duty and with these games, I can get 8 people on 1 connection playing on the inet and it doesn't effect ping.
I noticed that strats use about 40b/s - 1kb/s while FPS games use about 3kb/s - 6kb/s
CalliduS

Postby Ark » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:22 pm

I don't think bandwidth monitoring will make it in. There are just too many variables to keep track of, and what is useful?

bytes seen on network
bytes captured from network to be tunneled
bytes sent into tunnel
bytes received from tunnel
bytes broadcast back onto the network

Also, since GIT tunnels full packets, do I include the size of all the various packet headers in these values or not? The traffic being tunneled will add more ethernet/IP/UDP headers onto that too, do I include that? It would be an estimate to include it since its not really known for sure to GIT.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby CalliduS » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:15 pm

NP on that
Was just an idea.
CalliduS

Postby Ark » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:31 pm

Ok, 0.99b3 has been posted.

http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/Git-099b3.exe

Please test the new features like ZLib.
Please submit more ports to be listed in the default dropdown.
Please create wizard scripts for anything you can.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby CalliduS » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:00 pm

Cheers Ark, I'll try it out in the week to see if big games play better.
I'm going to setup the same but also try Zlib.
CalliduS

Postby CalliduS » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:31 am

Just to let you know, I made an error on the C&C Generals port. I didnt have time to check it and just did a range, guessing that it prob just uses port 8080 but the default port is infact 8086 and not 8080. So:

8086 : C&C Generals
CalliduS

Postby CalliduS » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:42 am

Ran a test just now:

C&C Generals Zer Hour
LAN1: 4 players
LAN2: 4 players

Ran ok and looked to be about the same as LAN play. Bandwidth seemed fine as well as I could still ping an external IP fine while this 8v8 was running.

While that 8v8 was running we ran Dawn of war:
LAN1: 4 players
LAN2: 4 players

This didn't like to be run at the same time as Generals. Both started lagging bad (external ping was still fine though)
As soon as we shut generals off, DoW was fine.

We tried both ZLib on and off, but didnt notice any difference in the game. Think there may of been lower bandwidth used though.
CalliduS

Postby CalliduS » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:12 am

Just finished playing a 3v4 WC3 Dota game and it ran like a dream.
Also ticked in Adv config, "Dont Send Routable" as the games seem to still work with that ticked.
CalliduS

Postby Ark » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:42 pm

I did some tests with AoM and it seems AoM already compressed packets so that GIT was actually making them larger on top of adding the overhead of tunneling a packet inside of another packet. I then changed the ZLib wrapper I wrote to simply discard the compressed results if it became bigger and send the uncompressed packet instead. So the worst case is you just waste a little CPU power compressing and throwing away some data, but if a game doesn't compress its traffic, the ZLib may come in handy.

Don't Send Routable is great for linking two LANs using NAT since it will only tunnel traffic if its non-routable, which means that the destination is a private address such as 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, or if it is a broadcast packet, those are considered non-routable as well, and will be tunneled still.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby CalliduS » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:27 am

26220 : Rome Total War

Not tested yet but this is used when playing on LAN
CalliduS

Next

Return to GIT