Internet sharing through GIT

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Internet sharing through GIT

Postby mEmO » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:40 am

Hello. I have a question about GIT. If I establish a tunnel from behind a college network to a computer outside the network, will GIT be able to share the internet connection of the computer outside the college network so that I can connect applications like "Star Wars Galaxies" through it?
mEmO

Postby Ark » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:37 am

If you are looking to host a game server behind a firewall, GIT may work for that, but it may be overly complex for what you need.
A simple "backwards proxy" would work.
I have a private utility that I wrote, as a command line Linux utility, that would get the job done:
Code: Select all
bpi v1.0 by Ark
Use: ./bpi (chain_to_host) (chain_to_port) (tcp|udp) (fwd_to_host) (fwd_to_port)
bpo v1.0 by Ark
Use: ./bpo (chain_listen_port) (tcp|udp) (outside_listen_port) (timeout_secs)

bpi runs inside the firewall and makes a connection to bpo, which runs outside the firewall. The bpi<->bpo connection is the 'chain' connection. bpo listens on a given port and when it receives a connection, it instructs bpi to make a connection to the give forward-to host:port combination.
Its useful only if you cannot control the firewall settings to simply map a port thru NAT or open a port to the IP you need.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby mEmO » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:59 am

Thanks, but I don't know if that'd work. My problem is that I have no access at all to the firewall, since it's a college network. They've blocked all UDP traffic whatsoever, and, unfortunately for me, SWG uses UDP. (for a technical readout on what SWG uses, look at http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/content.jsp?page=Tech%20Support%20Firewall%20Proxy
mEmO

Return to GIT