Feature Request: Bandwidth monitoring

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Feature Request: Bandwidth monitoring

Postby CalliduS » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:53 am

Just wondering if some kind of bandwidth monitoring could be included in a future release of GIT. This would show how much data is being send and received from each host.
After testing a 8 player game of Dawn of War (2 players this end and 6 from the other LAN) I noticed our connection was taking a big hit but the Net peeker prog I use was only showing 6kb/s download from the remote LAN and 0kb/s upload. This means that either Net peeker is not showing all the bandwidth being passed from GIT to GIT or something is causing extra load.
This had an effect on the game a bit with pauses in the play. Strat games use far less bandwidth than FPS games so I find it hard to think that its just the games demands.
What would cause such bandwidth use like that when using GIT ?
The 2 connections are:

LAN1: ADSL, 1meg download, 256kb upload
LAN2: ADSL, 512kb download, 256kb upload

Not sure if you have the time or the know how to make such an addon but it would nice to see how much bandwidth is being used.
CalliduS

Postby Ark » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:31 am

Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure if that would really be useful to people or not. You are tunneling over UDP right? Typically games are fine with that, the worst thing I can think of is if a game uses a large UDP packet that cannot be tunneled inside of another UDP packet without fragmenting it, and if one of the GIT tunneled fragments gets lost, things can get out of sync.
GIT currently does not analyze incoming traffic for any sort of packet boundries, it just assumes 1 packet will be tunneled inside of exactly 1 packet and nothing is fragmented and nothing is combined. I believe that if two packets were combined into 1 tunneled packet, GIT would ignore the second one.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ark » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:28 pm

Ark
Site Admin

Return to GIT