Hmm.. Getting Age of Mythology to work.

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Hmm.. Getting Age of Mythology to work.

Postby Ark » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:22 pm

AoM can work with direct IP, IF all players are using real IPs. If any one player uses NAT, you can't use this option and would have to use GIT.

After a lot of experimenting, I found that every player must use NAT and ONLY NAT! you cannot have any other real IPs bound to your NIC or it fails!
You also must forward ARP or you can't even find the game.
Also, if you make any connection over TCP, the game lags to no end, so you must forward over UDP and open port 213 through every single person's NAT box.
Other then that, if you forward UDP ports 2299-2300 and check Also Match Source Port and Don't Send Routable, it works very well.
Its just sorta annoying for the users with real IPs to have to go disable them and use NAT in order to play with the people that have to use NAT.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby _[Master]_ » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:51 pm

Any computer can be the host? The game shows up in "LAN Games"? I couldn't get it to work... If I try to direct connect, I keep waiting in that damn 120 seconds...
But it looks like it's almost working, because when I start AoM in the GIT listener, my outgoing bandwith grows to the sky...
Should I mark the Alter Source IP option?
_[Master]_

Postby Ark » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:58 pm

Direct connect will fail if anyone player is using NAT.
In a test I did, there was:
LAN1 - real, static IPs
LAN1 - PC1
LAN2 - 1 dynamic IP, using NAT
LAN2 - PC2 (in DMZ)
LAN2 - PC3

PC2, since it was in the DMZ, could connect to PC1 if PC1 was the server, and PC2 could connect to PC1 if PC1 was the server. In neither case could PC3 join the game though, because PC1 couldn't communicate with it. AoM needs to send direct UDP packets to every host in the game. It is NOT a client/server other then who controls the game settings. Every player in the game must individually be able to communicate with every other player's computer *directly*.
If PC2 starts a game and although PC1 could normally join the game, if PC3 joins first, PC1 can no longer join the game simply because it can't communicate with PC3. If PC1 joins the game first, PC3 can't join, for the very same reason.
It typically ends with the 120 second time out in all of the above fail cases.

We did get it to work by enabling NAT on LAN1 and making sure no IP addresses conflicted, not even the routers, and forwarding ARP as well. then anybody could host the game, and everybody could join the game, with no problems at all.
If the GITs are connected using TCP listen and TCP connect, you will lag to no end, because tunneling UDP over TCP is never really a good idea. You must forward port 213 UDP on each LAN's router to the computer running GIT and connect using UDP to the opposite LAN's external IP with GIT.
Ark
Site Admin

Return to GIT