Using GIT on a LAN

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Using GIT on a LAN

Postby BitByter » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:56 pm

i have this "situation" where i cannot find a good theory to explain a few things.

first i will try to explain the entire situation

I am trying, to get c&c95 to work
the probem is, is that with windows xp, the game doesn't have network support

i have now used microsoft virtual pc.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

i have made an virtual machine with windows 98, and C&C95
i also installed ipx/spx

i have installed another virtual machine, on an other computer, with this exact procedure

when i look in the network environment, the 2 virtual machines can see eachother

however, the ipx/spx implementation in virtual pc sucks

when i join the host game on the other virtual pc, virtual pc just crashes.
there isn't any problem with tcp/ip connection (wich c&c95 doesn't support)

i was now thinking the following

maybe i could tunnel these ipx/spx packages over tcp/ip, since that didn't let crash the virtual pc

if i use GIT on a LAN, would it work?
isn't it so that C&C95 would receive 2 of the same ipx/spx datastreams since it is on the same network ?

or does it "capture" this ipx/spx traffic, and will block it from distributing it over the network
BitByter

Postby Ark » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:01 pm

I doubt IPX packets are your problem here. Most games typically don't run under virual machines like VPC or VMWare. Is there not IPX support for WinXP you can install? I thought there was, why would they remove that?
GIT won't be able to help you here, virtual computer or not.
If you are on the same LAN phyisically or virtually, the problem is the game or the OS.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby BitByter » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:04 pm

C&C95 doesn't support windows nt/2000/xp

however, they have released a patch, to be able to use singleplayer only in nt/2000/xp

but i need multiplayer ;)

do you perhaps know of an sort of "nullmodem" over tcp/ip program?
something like git ? but for serial connections?

and still, would GIT work over a LAN or not ??

ps. i have read on many forums that ipx support in vpc sucks, c&c works for 10 seconds, but then the virtual machine freezes, so it actually can work, but it needs to run over tcp/ip since services on tcp/ip work flawlessly
BitByter

Postby Ark » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:15 pm

I'm not as familiar with VPC as I am with VMWare, but in VMWare at least, you are installing an OS inside a virtual computer. That virtual computer knows absolutely nothing about what OS you might want to put on it. Saying IPX support in VPC sucks doesn't make any sense at all to me, because VPC doesn't NEED to support IPX, the OS you install inside of VPC should be doing all the work. The network traffic the emulated/virtual network adapter gets or sends in the virtual computer should be transmitted/received from your real network card and it should not matter one bit if that network traffic is IPv4, IPv6, IPX, some other protocol, or just random garbage packets.
You could always try GIT, but I doubt its going to be of any use for what you want.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby BitByter » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:27 pm

i thought about it, and i think ur right

c&c and windows STILL have to handle the ipx packets
no matter where they come from :/

now i just need to find an serialconnection software tunnel for tcp/ip
i hope it exists
BitByter

Postby Ark » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:36 pm

I'm not sure what you mean about the serial connection. Are you confusing a null modem with TCP/IP, I don't know what you are trying to do with that?
Old games (DOS and such) used to support null modems, dialup modems, and IPX networks. A null modem just means you are hooking up the serial port of one computer to another computer, and crossing the wires so that they can talk to eachother without a modem (hence null modem, or no modem). A null modem device is a little box that crosses the wires so that you can hook up a normal straight serial cable to your two RS232 ports. Think of it like a crossover cable for serial ports instead of ethernet.
Windows supports connecting two computers using a null modem, if you have such a device, and old games may well work with that setup too.
Tunneling tcp/ip over a null modem doesn't seem to get you anywhere though, it doesn't make much sense or accomplish anything useful.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby BitByter » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:34 am

nope, what i mean is tunneling an serial connection over tcp/ip ;)

an Virtual Serial Port sorta speak :)

Real old games could work over tcp/ip that way :)

something like this:
http://www.brothersoft.com/Utilities_Sy ... 18017.html

but then free,

i will search further
BitByter

Postby Ark » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:53 am

If you are on the same LAN, just set up a real serial connection.
Ark
Site Admin

Return to GIT