GIT v0.99 Beta

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

GIT v0.99 Beta

Postby Ark » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:52 pm

I have a beta version of GIT v0.99, which includes a configuration wizard. If people would like to help test or create wizard scripts for various games, please post here.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby jykke » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:40 am

That could be fun. or pain. or both

Is XP sp2 supported btw ?
jykke

Postby Ark » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:00 am

Whats so special about XP SP2 that GIT would stop working? I heard it blocks incoming connections, but you should be able to set it to accept the connections you need (port 213). Should be no different then if you use a firewall of any type, software or hardware.

I'm looking for people who will be able to troubleshoot and get games working with GIT under various network conditions such as firewalled or not and NAT or not, so you have to be able to give yourself a real IP and change it to a NAT IP, and put yourself in the NAT DMZ, block and unblock ports, and you should also have two networks, or a friend to test with. You should also have basic programming/scripting abilities since the GIT wizard files are their own new scripting language, but its nothing more complicated than .bat files really.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby jykke » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:31 am

really dont know about XP sp2 issue, thats why i asked.

For reference i managed to get ra2 IPX working on w2k client XP server combination, but not a chance in XP / XP combination. Packets move allright, but game wont work. This is the reason for sp2 question.

BTW those working machines are both behind firewalls, and attleast my end is natted. i have moderate batch writing skills and good knowledge of networking including firewalls.

By the tone of your message i get the feeling that im not the person you want to test your next version and truthfully im not interested anymore either.
jykke

Postby Ark » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:21 am

Well anybody can try out the beta version, I just want people to know what they are getting into. I am hoping there is some interest here in the user community to create wizard scripts for various games I don't have, and I want to make sure people will be able to do this if they try to help. So far, nobody else has posted here so I am wondering if I should continue with this wizard code. The program's exe nearly trippled in size because of it, so if there is no strong interest out there, I may just comment it all out to save space.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ark » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:46 pm

Here is the location to try v0.99 BETA 1:
http:// (edited, newer beta below)
Its 840K, up from the 764K of v0.98.

Not only does this version include the wizard scripting language, but it also removes the pthreads dll and uses Win32 functions in their place, which is a fairly drastic change. Included are two sample scripts, for Warcraft II and III, and a documentation txt file to help you create your own scripts. The installer still comes with WinPcap v3.0.

I hope that people will download and try this and make wizard scripts for other games, and post them here, otherwise this was probably a big waste of time.
Last edited by Ark on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ark » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:51 pm

For people who are curious, I'm posting the documentation on the script files and the WC3 sample script here to look at.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Carlos_Ed » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:18 pm

This wizzard is really nice. I will start making scripts for all my games that require GiT to be played online. One thing though... whenever you wish to make GiT more compatible with more recent versions of WinPcap, that would be nice. Because I use some software that doesn't work so good with WinPcap 3.0 and/or previous versions, and the main reason why I whaven't upgraded WinPcap was because of GiT. :?
Carlos_Ed

Postby Ark » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:23 pm

There is no real reason GIT shouldn't work with newer WinPcap, but the only thing newer then 3.0 according to http://winpcap.polito.it/install/default.htm is 3.1-BETA-3
I don't include it because it says Beta, but if there was a 3.1 final or 3.2 I would probably include it with GIT on GIT's next release.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Carlos_Ed » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:49 pm

Right on. I already saw that "beta". But as I didn't check out their website, I assumed they already put a "final" version. Last time I tried GiT with that beta, was GiT v0.97 and it crashed. :?

PS: Please take my notes as simple reminders, doubts, questions... etc. Don't take them for solid facts! That goes for other people in this forum too!... I am not in any way some "guru" on networks and stuff. I am a simple an over-interested person on this project, and frustrated for not being able to contribute to it as I wanted to. :roll:
Carlos_Ed

Postby Ark » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:43 pm

Well normally the upgrade from WinPcap 2.2 to 2.3 to 3.0 was fine, I did nothing special, but according to http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/changelog.htm under "Version 3.1 beta, 3 feb 04"

Changes/additions to the Packet.dll API:

# PacketGetAdapterNames() now returns the names of the adapter in ASCII rather than in Unicode. Since the main purpose of PacketGetAdapterNames() is feeding data to pcap_findalldevs() and since pcap_findalldevs() needs ASCII names, the new PacketGetAdapterNames() avoids a conversion in wpcap.dll and uniforms the data format with the one of Windows 9x (this potentially simplifies the code of the applications). As a consequence of this modification, old applications won't work properly with the new PacketGetAdapteNames() on NT/2k/XP/2k3.
# PacketOpenAdapter() now takes an ascii adapter rather than a UNICODE one. This is a consequence of the fact that PacketGetAdapterNames() returns ASCII strings: they can be immediately passed to PacketOpenAdapter(). (note: internal conversion is provided so that a UNICODE adapter name will be correctly opened, however the prototype changes and this could generate warning when compiling old applications).

They might have changed code in packet.dll which breaks GIT there - I could probably fix GIT if its really a problem, wouldn't be too much work.

They warn at http://winpcap.polito.it/docs/docs31bet ... etapi.html that using packet.dll is not the recommended way of using winpcap, but if I remember correctly, some of the functionality GIT needs is only available using direct to packet.dll instead of wpcap.dll
I forget what exact functionality or reason I had for chosing to go with packet.dll instead of the slightly higher-level capture driver, but its too late now to change things.
This could break GIT again in the future with newer winpcap versions, but hopefully the changes are easy enough to implement.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ark » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:44 pm

Git v0.99 BETA 2

http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/Git-099b2.exe

Should support WinPcap v3.1+ with the modification they made, however, in my tests it looks like the latest WinPcap shows a NDisWan adapter as the first choice in the device list, and some bugs in WinPcap will cause GIT to crash or hang if GIT tries to open this device. I had to go into the registry and set "device" to DWORD 1 instead of 0 in order to start GIT on my test machine with WinPCap 3.1-beta-3 installed.

Also added in this new beta is a checkbox in the connection status window to view the known remote host MAC address list and the amount of time until that address expires from the list. Mostly a debugging tool really.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Carlos_Ed » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:49 pm

Nice to see such quick action on this matter. Later I'll try out this new beta to see if it works ok with the new winpcap. Your "ndiswan" warning has been noticed. But I don't think that will be an issue to me as my current packet device is number 3. I have 2 NICs, a cable modem and firewire. Nevertheless I apreciate your warning on this. :D
Carlos_Ed

Postby Ark » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:55 pm

Well be warned that using the new WinPcap will shift the list down by one, so you will still have to change it.
It would be interesting to know if GIT works on all your various devices. Mostly I only have NICs and these fake NdisWan adapters to test with.
Is the cable modem internal? Why does it show up as a device?
What about the Firewire, I have firewire built into my computer, but no firewire adapters, and nothing shows up in WinPcap for that. Is it only a specific device plugged into Firewire?
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Carlos_Ed » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:27 pm

Oh, do not worry about that WinPcap issue. It wasn't a problem. the list did scrool down by 1, but since you provided me the solution I got it up and running no time.

The firewires appear on the "Network Connections" in Windows XP. But since this is a multifuncional interface and I do not use it for networking, I don't have any way of testing it though because my computer is the only one with firewire. But for the looks of it, it should be possible to use it like an ordinary NIC. Since you can bind IP adresses to it... :wink:
For the 2 NICs... well... they are simply 2NICs! What else is new?... :D
Ok, for the modem, I do not use it as a GiT packet device, although it appears listed for selection. It's an external cable modem, conected to the computer through a USB port. This can be bound to GiT but some games will not work. Speccially the ones that have some way of "sensing" the type of device or auto-select, the LAN interface... or something. All my network connections are firewalled with Windows XP Service Pack 2 Firewall.
My way of using GiT is, binding to my Gigabit NIC and "Be TCP Listen...". All other players use a virtual NIC called "MS Loopback Device" and "TCP Connect..." to me. All comunications go without problem. The hassle we have is configuring GiT to the particular game we will be playing. But with this new wizard, that is soon to fade to a distant nightmare! :D
Carlos_Ed

Next

Return to GIT