GIT and WarCraft 3 - problems, and I think I've tried all...

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

GIT and WarCraft 3 - problems, and I think I've tried all...

Postby joekeegan123 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:14 am

Hey all,

I really am dying to get this working, it's a great and amazing idea. I really hate battlenet.

Here's what I've tried to do:

I am trying to get a game going with a friend. We are both on cable modems, and we both have Linksys BEFSR41 routers (4 port).

We both installed GIT, and I set my system as the listener. I forwarded TCP and UDP port 213 into my system from the outside firewall address.

I had my friend select the WarCraft 3 ports to forward, and he tried to connect to my ip address with UDP. no go. TCP. no go. ALL PORTS, not just warcraft - no go.

SO I tried on my side to configure the NAT option, since we're both using nat. (as I understand it, only the server needs to do this). I set the internal as my internal ip (10.0.1.11) and my public cable modem address as the other one (the address, not the hostname). No go.

I tried checking TCP, UDP, ICMP for forwarding in advanced config. no go.

I tried adding ports to forward on the main config screen (from the server listening machine...didn't think this needed to be done, but figured I'd try it). First warcraft, then all ports, hten all IPX ports. no go. nothing. I never see the game that is created on the other side, and I never see any packets coming back form the other host.

We are both WIndows XP running SP1 + latest hotfixes (no SP2).

I even tried making my system a DMZ host, wher ALL ports are open to the internet. No go, so not a firewall issue.

I also tried duplicating this is the lab with 2 linksys routers and a separate subnet as the SIMULATED internet on 2 separate systems. same deal - no go.

Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I've tried all IPX frames, enabled ethernet SNAP, and still nada.

Let's see if we can get this working, and I'll help write a really good FAQ so that everyone can enjoy this wondrous invention.

Thanks guys.

-JK
joekeegan123

Fixed my own problem, hope this helps everyone

Postby joekeegan123 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:52 am

After trying EVERY option with EVERY protocol, I finally got warcraft 3 working, and I know exactly why it WASN'T working in the first place.

Here's the scenario, to review:

Site 1 - Cable modem, Linksys router.
Site 2 - Cable modem, Linksys router.

Site 1 - set as TCP listen server. Under advanced properties, UNCHECK only if broadcast, and check T|P, UDP, and ICMP. Check NAT box, and put your private and public address in the correct places. On firewall: Forward TCP & UDP port 213 in to gaming machine. Forward port 6112 TCP in to gaming machine (this is the warcraft gaming port).

Site 2 - Connect ot public IP address of site 1, TCP connect (not UDP). For TCP ports to forward, pick the warcraft 3 port. On advanced config: Check TCP, UDP, ICMP, and uncheck ONLY IF BROADCAST.

That should do it. It did it for me. PLEASE POST if you have problems. This program is a great thing, thanks for creating it.
joekeegan123

Return to GIT