odd problem

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

odd problem

Postby jaguar1024 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:29 pm

me and a friend have been trying to get git working properly for the last few days with no luck. Everything seems like it's working properly, but we can't see eachothers lan games of wc3 when we set them up. Here's our set up,

we're both behind d-link routers using nat.
we both have udp ports 213 forwarded to our computers through our routers.
alter source ip is set with the internal as our lan ip addresses and the external as our cable modem addresses.
we have eachothers cable modem ip's set in the 'forward to what hosts' list with udp and set to port 213.
and we both have 'forward which ports' set to 6112.

everything seems like it's working, the logs say that udp packets are being sent back and forth between out networks just fine, packet sniffing confirms this. The packets do not appear to be damaged in any way, they are the correct length and appear to have the correct content. But no matter what we do, we can't see eachothers games in the lan menu in wc3.

We have also tried connecting via tcp instead of udp, this also worked for sending and receiving udp packets, but we still couldn't see eachothers lan games.

If anybody has some suggestions, we'd really appriciate it. Thanks.
jaguar1024

Postby pSyChLoNe » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:36 am

If your sure that all packets on 6112 are being forwarded by both parties, it must be that the game also uses other ports, at least in the 'find LAN game' phase.

Start by configuring GIT to forward UDP packets on all ports (except 213 of course). See if the game works. If yes, then its a port forwarding issue, if no, its a configuration issue and you have to mess around some more with the GIT configurations.

If its a port forwarding issue, you need to find which other ports wc3 uses. Set GIT back to 'just forwarding 6112', and enable 'logging unforwarded packets' on both ends. Quickly both enter the game, one make a game, the other try to join (refresh, etc.), then quit. Disable logging, and scrutinize the 'unforwarded' log for all packets that might belong to wc3 on other ports. Additionally enable forwarding for those ports only.

As for the 'alter source ip' option, I think thats overkill.. I think you only need it when one side is behind a firewall (i.e. they cant get incoming external packets on 213) and they are using TCP connect. In any case GIT worked with me (also between 2 routers with NAT) without it. In fact the whole bottom right part of my advanced configuration is unchecked ('broadcast only', 'receive only', etc.).
pSyChLoNe

Return to GIT