Setting up PS2s to network via GIT... question(s)?

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Setting up PS2s to network via GIT... question(s)?

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:58 pm

Greetings, and thanks for actually maintaining a forum for questions and support - very much appreciated!

A friend and I are attempting to network two Sony Playstation2s using GIT. I did notice another thread on this subject here, but it's from March and doesn't seem to have been answered; I thought a new thread more timely than resurrecting the old.

Unfortunately I am not extremely PC-networking savvy, so I can't tell you offhand which ports the PS2s typically use, if the information is available at all. I can tell you the connection method we're trying to use should be the same for PS2s as it is for PCs; essentially, PS2s may normally be linked via their Network Adapters if the game supports this method. My friend and I each have PS2s, Sony Network Adapters, broadband connections, and PCs. We also each have routers, to which both PCs and PS2s are connected. The PS2 internet connection has been verified as functional via games (like Champions of Norrath) which directly support internet play. GIT is just (hopefully) going to be used in this case to foozle the in-game software into thinking the connection is entirely LAN-based, rather than LAN-WAN-LAN, if I phrased that correctly.

My understanding (VERY limited) of the GIT software implies that if I wish to be Host/server for a 2-player game (which this will be), what I need to do is set my GIT to "Be TCP server and accept all connections on the same port from any Host instead." I'm quite willing to do this; however, my concern is how the PCs will then communicate to link. Won't my friend have to have a Host-name, designating my PC, as a destination to send its signal to? If so, how to I find or establish that Host-name (will it be my currently-used IP address, for example)? Or is my understanding of the process incorrect?

Please let me know what more information is needed to flesh out the problem. In advance, the help is much appreciated!
Jon S.

Return to GIT