would like to know some general information

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

would like to know some general information

Postby crestfallen » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:58 am

i've been using git for the past month & im really happy with it. its a great software.

1. i would like to know is it possible to host a game using GIT when u r behind firewall (with only main ports eg:80, 21, etc.. opened) ?

2. & is it possible to join a non firewalled git server, when you are behind firewall (behind nat & ports 213 or others could not be forwarded too. only common ports are open)

3. if both above question is a "no", can i use port 80 to connect using git between 2 pc over the internet?

than you
crestfallen

Postby Ark » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:36 am

I think all 3 answers are 'yes'

1) you can host a game and be firewalled, just have your GIT be the TCP connect and the non-firewalled side be TCP listen. Being the game host is not the same as being the GIT listen vs connect side.

2) That question isn't even specific to GIT, of course its possible, you don't need the ports forwarded, you just need outgoing internet access. If outgoing traffic is firewalled as well, then you really don't have any internet access, and GIT or not, nothing is going to make a connection.

3) Yes, you can use any port you want, just type it in the box and the other side has to listen on that port. Just using port 80 won't get you by a really strict firewall since some would be able to tell that the traffic is not HTTP traffic, since the packets don't match that format.
Last edited by Ark on Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby crestfallen » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:42 pm

thank you,

so that means its possible to host a game behind a firewall/nat network even if there no port forwarded..

thank you again.. i will try it as soon as possible
crestfallen

Return to GIT