GIT and Ground Control 2

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

GIT and Ground Control 2

Postby Phonk » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:09 pm

Just spent a whole evening trying to make GIT work with GC2, and it seems it won't :(

Our setup:
two PCs behind two NATs, game server (my friend) with WAN IP 66.s.s.s and local IP 192.168.2.10, client (me) with WAN IP 65.c.c.c and local IP 192.168.1.10

Our progression:
- Started working on the GIT configuration, took about an hour to figure out the basics (a wizard was once mentioned, great idea)
- Finally got to see the server's game from the client, but could not connect (timeout)
- Figured out that on the client's GC2, I saw 192.168.2.10 as the server's IP (where I should have seen 66.s.s.s), tried removing the server's NAT, success. However, this is not a viable solution as plugging the host computer on the modem each time we want to play is not acceptable.

Finally, using Ethereal, I spied the UDP packets to find out that GC2 sends the host's IP in the UDP data, making GIT alterations useless... :(
Source 66.s.s.s
Destination 192.168.1.10
Protocol UDP
Data (different stuff including game name, map name, server IP)

Anyone have a solution to this? If not, well... I'm off to code LANGate :lol:
Phonk

Postby crestfallen » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:15 am

yeah.. i got the same problem too.

my pc :
local : 192.168.1.15
external : 219.12.x.x

frens :
local : 10.0.0.5
external : 219.176.x.x

when fren create a game, i can see him & also his internal ip (10.0.0.5). when i pressed join button, the game will try send packets to 10.0.0.5 (instead of 219.176.x.x). after 5 secs, a connection timeout error comes out.

i do thought that i had figured it out by just using microsoft HOSTS file (x:\windows\system32\driver\etc\hosts) to forward the address. but i found out that HOSTS doesnt accept ip numbers. (it accept eg : localhost, my server, or www.home.com... it didnt work with 123.23.23.54 or 10.0.0.5 or any ip number).

so what i think if there is a similar task such as HOSTS, but would accept ip numbers, than i think the problem could be solve. eg : forward 10.0.0.5 ---> 219.176.x.x
crestfallen

Postby crestfallen » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:56 am

phonk.. i solved the problem :D.. its not GIT faults but its actually a bug in the game. i will tell u why its a bug later.. this method it works best with NAT, now, a solution for you..

on your frens computer (the host), change the internal ip (network card ip) to similar as his WAN ip. dont worry, it wont clash because it wont be in the same network as his router.

eg:
local ip : 65.c.c.c
wan ip : 65.c.c.c (but he wont connected to it since his not on 192.168.1.x anymore)

then he has to start the game, & create a LAN session

alt-tab, change back his internal ip to the previous(original) ip eg : 192.168.1.10

Start GIT

Join the game :). He can create as many LAN session he wants, but dont ever quit the game.

the method here is actually trick the client to connect to 65.c.c.c (instead of internal 192.168.1.10).

why i call its a bug? when im hosting with 2 network card, it only broadcast one ip address (usually my main network card). for example, my first network card (10.0.0.5) were plugged in to the modem, while my second card (192.168.1.5)were plugged into my network along with 5 others computer.

when i host a LAN session, all 5 other pc on LAN could see my game, but they cant join it because when they joining it, the game try to connect to 10.0.0.5, instead of 192.168.1.5 . now thats a bug... or an intended bug..

hope u enjoy playing multiplayer
crestfallen

Postby muciber » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:43 pm

Hi,

me and a friend of mine were also trying to set up GC2 over GIT but it didn't work.

Our configuration:
PC1

No NAT, but firewall
under advanced configuration:
Ethernet II, TCP, UDP, ICMP, only if broadcast

configuration:
friend's IP with TCP-Listen, TCP-connect and UDP, Port 213
forwarded Ports:
UDP:
6500 to 6520
42000 to 42200

TCP:
42000 to 42020

Friends PC:
Same settings everywhere except the IP adress.

We tried both:
Be TCP Listen Server checked and unchecked but nothing helped.
He doesn't see my game at all.
By the way: wc3 works flawlessly with the settings (except for the other port)
@ Phonk:
Which Settings did you use with GIT so that you could see the LAN Game?

Thx in advance
muciber

Postby muciber » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:17 pm

We finally managed to get the game running. My friend didn't tell me that he's got an internal AND external IP in the first place.
We changed that setting (I'm the server so he set it up) and everything work's fine now except one annoying "bug"

Everytime when playing he get's the message: "connection to server lost"
It happens on different maps and the time from starting the game until he get's kicked is also changing.

I'll post the settings:
Maybe somebody has a hint for me. Would be really great!

Here my settings (same on the client; I'm the server)
Under configuration:
Listen Server checked
and the ports are all set up.

advanced config:
ethernet II checkd
forwarded ipv4 protocols:
udp, icmp, tcp -> all checked
only if broadcast checked (what exactly does this option do?)

forward other: ARP (also don't know what that does)

Thx for the help guys!
muciber

Postby FlipFlopHHJ » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:03 pm

The method where the server changes his ip on the network adapter and then launches the game and creates a game then tabs out and changes the ip back to the actual one works great.

Then all you need to do is launch GIT or BattleLAN to forward all the broadcasts. This requires the routers/firewalls to forward/open all the needed ports.
FlipFlopHHJ

can anyone help me

Postby jerm » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:43 pm

First post. Have to thank Ark for this amazing program.

Ok. I'm kind of new to this whole tunneling business, so I need as explanatory instructions as you guys just can give me. Thank you in advance. I've been trying to search the boards for help too but I haven't had luck with this one.

The deal is that I've been trying to get GC2 working via GIT with my cousin for some evenings now and so far we've got nothing accomplished: not even a slight glimpse of a game in the lan starting screen.

Our hardware configurations are identical:
Single computer connected to internet with a usb-adsl-modem (referring to the usb adsl modem thread: yes, our modems are shown as the frame looking device in the advanced configurtions tab).
We both have Win XP pro, no NAT and a software firewall integrated into antivirus program.

From the previous posts I concluded that the game doesn't use IPX so at least I don't have to worry about forwarding ipx sockets in the common configuration and in the advanced tab ethernet 2 is the only possible frame type and forwarding different types of IPX packets is also useless. Correct if I'm wrong with my assumptions.

What kind of working configurations sets (both ordinary and advanced, as precisely as possible please) have you guys in the same situation as I am (no NAT, a firewall) used?

Muciber, can you specify your configuration? What did you change from your former post to the latter and what did you leave be (the computer without internal & external IP-address)

By the way can that IP swapping thing be of any use to me if I don't have NAT?

Also I see no log files in my GIT root dir? How can I get to them? Hidden files are shown.

If more info is needed, tell me.
jerm

Return to GIT