GIT forward Multicast traffic

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Postby ElwinOnline » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:29 pm

GREAT!!!!

I will check it soon and report my results.

Thank you.

Ark wrote:GIT v0.98 contains the ability to keep track of MAC source addresses instead of modifying the TTL.
ElwinOnline

Postby ElwinOnline » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:07 am

I promised to let you know my results.

GIT 0.98 works fine now to setup a Far Cry LAN game.
GIT recognizes the unicast sent by a far cry client in the LAN lobby (port UDP 5678).

Failure
But Far Cry has some protection routines. It doesn’t allow a LAN game with other than private IP ranges. So, it isn’t possible to setup a LAN game when forwarding the unicast over a public IP.

We tried a VPN connection. I run a Windows 2000 VPN server. Clients connect to the VPN server by a windows VPN client. In this case GIT doesn’t pick up the unicast on the VPN client site. And, of course, unicasts and broadcasts aren’t routed by a VPN connection anyway. So this scenario didn’t work also.

Success
We had success with a VPN to VPN connection, established with two Astaro firewalls. Advantage is that you don’t have to run a VPN client, so GIT can pick up everything. Problem is that not al of my game friends have an Astaro firewall. So we had to find another way.

We found the best solution in a scenario with the combination of a Kerio firewall and a separate Kerio VPN client. A Kerio VPN client is simple to install for everyone.
The Kerio VPN client installs an additional VPN network adaptor, which is recognized by WinPcap. As a result you can select this adaptor by GIT, and pick up and forward the unicast of a Far Cry client. (strange thing is that some friends must select the VPN adaptor, while some others have to select there local network adaptor to make it work).

It’s important to do NAT by GIT. (alter source IP in advanced configuration). ‘From hostname’ is your local IP, and ‘To Hostname’ is the IP you got from the VPN connection.

Thanks
Ark, we are grateful you improved GIT and make it more robust (keeping track of source MAC addresses instead of TTL). The new option ‘Also match source port’ is also very useful, for example with Joint Operations.
I would thank you at last.

Best Regards,
Elwin

ElwinOnline wrote:GREAT!!!!

I will check it soon and report my results.

Thank you.

Ark wrote:GIT v0.98 contains the ability to keep track of MAC source addresses instead of modifying the TTL.
ElwinOnline

Postby cid » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:40 pm

Me and my friend are attempting to get this to work. We have a working VPN set up through kerio and are now trying to get GIT to working, but can't seem to see the Farcry server. I'm trying to view in the logs of GIT to see if the unicast is being picked up or forwarded, but I'm not viewing anything sent to the port 234.5.6.7, so I was wondering what the unicast should look like in the logs.
cid

Postby cid » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:21 pm

As an addition I just used a sniffer to test to see if the unicasts were in fact being sent, and it did not appear that when I refreshed the client lan server list any packets were sent at all..... We're using a patched version of farcry, version 1.1 if that makes any difference.
cid

FarCry 1.0 worked for me

Postby jurydoughnut » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:08 pm

Don't know if this helps, but...

Me and a friend were able to get a deathmatch FarCry game working by me connecting to a VPN server he had created through W2K Pro. I saw his game on the LAN, and joined. No probs. Then we got bored, and started looking for a co-op mod (which we found).
However, the mod required we patch our version to 1.1 (or whatever version the latest is), and after we applied that patch, I could still see his game.. but started to get a message when i joined that said "SERVER MUST USE VALID LAN IP ADDRESS" or something like that...
FYI, he uses a static IP, and i'm behind a router.
Possible solution we're gonna try next: he's going to set up an ms loopback device, and create a server... then we're gonna GIT ... i'm hopin with the loopback device going, the game will *think* he's hosting on a private IP.
cheers
jurydoughnut

Previous

Return to GIT