Promiscuous Mode? - Help!

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

Promiscuous Mode? - Help!

Postby sterrynet » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:37 am

I am trying to play RISK II with a friend using GIT. Whilst his download and installation of GIT/WINPCAP appears to have succeeded, every time i try to run GIT, i get the message "failed to set device to promiscuous mode".
I have tried installing, uninstalling, booting and rebooting, but the same message is always there.
I am running a PC and a Laptop on Win XP. Both PC and Laptop have a BT Voyager 1010 USB Wireless adapter which are networked and connect to the internet via the BT Voyager2000 router/modem base station. I have tried installing etc on both laptop and PC, but the message is always there.
I am a total novice at this stuff, and so would be very grateful for any light anyone could shed on this. Thanks.
sterrynet

Postby Ark » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:49 am

Either you did not select your network adapter in advanced config or your voyager thing simply does not support all the neccessary functionality to use GIT. You should try a real hard-wired networkcard, or try upgrading the drivers for the usb wireless adapter.
Ark
Site Admin

same problem - Warcraft 3

Postby EsIstJazz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 am

Hi there,

I do have the same problem with Warcraft 3.

Git-099b4
WinPCap3
WinXP SP2, with Gigaset USB Adapter 11 for WLAN

What really surprises me is that, it worked one time after the first installation without any problems.
The next day after booting it always gave me the same error message:
"failed to set device to promiscuous mode"
Of courseI tried "reboot/deinstallation WinPCap/reboot/reinstallation WinPCap/reboot". Actually I tried it with and without any beta of GIT and/or WinPCap. Nothing seems to help...
So if somebody knows a solution, please post.

cu
Jazz

PS: Certainly it looks like the problem is connected to using a USB WLAN adapter... When picking my Ethernet PCI network card everything seems to work well...
PPS: Installing the current driver for my WLAN card does not solve the problem.
EsIstJazz

Postby Ark » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:41 am

GIT cannot control this. The only things worth trying are to upgrade WinpCap to the latest beta, or find newer drivers for your wireless card. The drivers may never support promiscuous mode so you may have to just use a virtual network adapater setup instead.
Ark
Site Admin

WLAN PCI card helps

Postby EsIstJazz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:44 pm

As written before, I have tried all cobinations of GIT and WinPCap, current versions and current beta versions (March 2005).

So then I may install a WLAN PCI card. They are quite cheep at the moment.

Greetings.
EsIstJazz

but why did it work the first time?

Postby EsIstJazz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:53 pm

... but what is confusing me... why did it work after the first installation?
Once I could play Warcraft 3 with other guys on another LAN.
EsIstJazz

Postby Ark » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:07 pm

I don't know why it worked once, but you could try completely uninstalling all networking (remove the WLAN driver, remove TCP/IP, remove winpcap, etc), then reinstall it all (may require the winxp cd).
Ark
Site Admin

Return to GIT