"GIT + Sacred = True" and "Save Config?"

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

"GIT + Sacred = True" and "Save Config?"

Postby LELLE » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:13 pm

Hello!
Just wanted to say that after hours of trying it is working, dont know what did it, but it works. So all of you that are trying to play Sacred over GIT, keep on trying, it is worth it :)

I think that it is needed to port forward the three ports they have talked about in other threads on this forum and uncheck "only if broadcast". When we got it to work I was behind NAT and checked the "listen server" checkbox and my friend used TCP connect.

We will try even more to get a better config and if someone wants I can post that solution here. Does anyone know how to save the config for future use? Is it just to copy some file or is it harder? It would be good to save this config that is working before we mess it up.

BR
/Lelle
LELLE

Postby Ark » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:59 pm

You can save your current GIT settings by quitting GIT and going into regedit and exporting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Git to a .reg file. Simply clicking on the .reg file will restore the settings. GIT should not be running when modifying GIT's registry settings externally.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby SYN » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:19 am

Hiya - new to the forum, but have been reading a lot.

A friend and I have been trying to get Sacred to work via GIT over the net. I can see the game in the LAN section, but when clicked to join it gives Winsock: 10060 error (timeout) Also tried using BattleLAN and got the same results. We forwarded ports 2005-2010 on UDP and TCP as well as 7064 UDP and TCP, and also tried forwarding 213 TCP and UDP for GIT. As far as we can tell, through the Connection Status, GIT is connected between our IP's. Again, we can see each others games, but when you join it, it times out. Please, tell us how to get around this problem. Is it with GIT? or is it a port forwarding thing? Any IDEAS? Please help... THX :D
SYN

Postby LELLE » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:36 am

Hello again!
Ark: Thanks for the info about the reg thing.
SYN: We have the same problem, in one direction... :)
My friend cant join the games I create although he can see them. (He gets the same winsock error) This morning I noticed that I didnt forward UDP packets on port 2005 from my server to my machine because of a misspelling in my NAT config, so I hope that can solve this problem. Do you have this problem in both directions?

/Lelle
LELLE

Postby SYN » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:06 pm

Well no mispellings in my router. hehe... still getting the same results.

Forwarding 2005-2010 UDP n TCP
7064 UDP n TCP
213 UDP n TCP

and no luck. :(
SYN

Postby SYN » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:08 pm

Lelle : you said you get the same problem in one direction... Does that mean it works for you and your friend in the other direction? (ie. when only when he hosts? or something like that?)
SYN

Postby LELLE » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:01 am

SYN: Correct, I can create a game that he can see but NOT join. He can create a game that I can see, AND join. I changed the settings in my NAT yesterday and that did not solve that problem.

Yesterday we also tried UDP instead of TCP and that worked as well, both used the others IP and port 213.

If you find any solution to the winsock problem I would like to know, my computer is the faster one so it would be better if I could create the games :)

Do you both get the winsock 10060 error when trying to join the others game?

/Lelle
LELLE

Postby SYN » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:23 pm

Wow - I'm super frustrated now. Never put so much time into something that didnt work! hehe... anyways, both my friend and I get the time out code 10060 when we try and join. I'm curious though, what type of setup does your friend have so he can host? Does he even have a router or NAT? And if so... what are his settings? Would love to see this work and am just not getting anywhere. Thanks for your help thus far. =)
SYN

Postby Ark » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm

Please keep in mind that you typically only need to use the alter source address option if you are also using the broadcast only option, and are behind NAT and you are trying to be a server. This also means only if the game only uses UDP packets and you are trying to tunnel the broadcast packets while route the direct packets over the internet.
If the game uses more then just UDP or you just want to tunnel all traffic, disable both the alter source address and broadcast only options.
Ark
Site Admin

Getting GIT to work with Sacred

Postby Gigaah » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:49 am

Well after experimenting I got frustrated and went crazy on the settings.
You may or may not like it but here are settings that make sacred work between two people over the internet.

Advanced Configuration:
look into which frame type- Check all boxes
forward wich ipx packets- Check all boxes
forward wich ipv4 protocols - check all boxes
IPV4 forward options - uncheck all boxes
forward other - check box
Make sure correct device is selected in the drop down box. it
automaticly selected my firewire card instead of my netword card

Configuration:
Forward wich ipx sockets - all sockets
forward wich tcp/uds ports - well known ports and all the rest

configure the rest depending on if your serving or connecting. It works. a bit extreme and I know the list can be pared down but its a start.

Router configurations are on you, I don't sit behind one.

Gigaah
Gigaah

Postby Ark » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:51 am

Those settings will basically tunnel everything. That will in effect create a VPN, only without the P, just a virtual network.
Forwarding ARP can be heavy on a connection that has limited bandwidth, since ARP packets can flood the network quite often as a router tries to find out what computers exist. Forwarding IPX when a game only requires IPv4 is also a waste, as is the other way around. No game is going to use both kinds of traffic. Forwarding all sockets or all ports will likely end up forwarding NetBIOS traffic as well, which windows can generate a lot of.
If you want your game to play more smoothly, especially if you are on a slow connection like dialup or cable, you definately want to narrow down the ports used so you dont waste your bandwidth. I say cable is slow because almost all of them give you 128Kbps upload, which is junk compared to DSL where you typically can get 256, 384, or much more upload bandwidth. Obviously in the case of GIT, both sides upload bandwidth is going to be the limiting factor in how much traffic you can tunnel.
Very good point about your network card though, GIT just defaults to the first item in the list, which is probably the first driver you or whoever installed windows installed. All network cards as well as other network devices like virtual devices, firewire, and some tv tuner cards will all have items listed there, so unless you go select your network card, no other setting is going to ever make GIT work.
If you notice your GIT says its connected in the status window, but never receives any traffic, the other person likely did not select their network card.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby St. Babu » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:07 am

Did anyone ever get this working? If so, how? I've tried everything I can think of, and I can't get it to work, always the 10006 timeout error. I can see the game, but I can't connect. I've checked the logs, and I even set up to forward "well-known ports" and "All the rest". Still no-go. Ideas?
St. Babu

Postby jagedlion » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:35 pm

The thread looks dead but maybe someone can help me get this working. I'm completely new to GIT but succesfully made a connection between me and my friends computer. Packets are flowing and we can see each other's games, but always get the 10060 winsock timeout error. Any new (old) tips?
jagedlion

My GIT for sacred. WORKS.

Postby SagiFoo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:21 pm

1st I have a machine directly connected to the internet.. No NAT so I wont be using those settings.
I have the dedicated server running and am forwarding ports (TCP connect) to my friends internet IPs. (different ports used 213, 214)
Should only need the 3 ports for "Forward which TCP/UDP ports" I am using "All the rest with 217 - 65535" Its excessive but works. All you need are 2005, 2006, 7064 for ports.. but the range seems to work. :P
On my friends machines I have "Be TCP listen server and accept all connections" checked and one with port 213 and the other is 214.
So my friends machines just listen and they update me with their IP addresses if it changes.. I enter the hostname and port (TCP connect). As long as their box is listening it works.
VPNs dont work for this game because the server advertises itself via BROADCAST. VPNs dont tunnel the broadcast traffic. Thats what GIT is for. ;)
Under advanced configuration (for server) I have TCP, UDP, and ICMP checked. (Also excessive) and "Only if broadcast" is checked
SagiFoo

Sacred with NAT LAN and NAT LAN - got it working with VPN

Postby thosch » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:58 am

Hi, first I would like to thank Morpheussoftware for this brilliant software called GIT !!! THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS. We had severals LAN games working over VPN but all the ones that only communicate over broadcast letting us not enter an IP we were not able to run over the VPN.

Regarding Sacred... me and my friend we are both in private LANs with different IP-Ranges (192.168.0.x and 192.168.2.x), both connected to the Internet through Router/NAT.

The only way we got Sacred working is a combination of VPN and GIT. I tried it without the VPN part but obviously the different private IP lans wouldnt let it work even if we would be really on the same physical network.

The setup:

1. First have GIT create the tunnels (check GIT status if tunnels are UP, we were using the TCP connect/TCP listen setup). GIT options:(TCP/UDP/ICMP, not only broadcast traffic, range 2000-13000). I know this is way too much - probably we will be able to narrow it down some day.
2. Now we both connect to a VPN-Server (Win2k Server RRAS) getting IPs from the same range (172.16.1.x). Note: disable in VPN connection properties of the clients the standardgateway for remotenetwork option ( advanced TCP/IP settings). If you do not do this all your other internet traffic will be routed over the VPN :-(
3. Launch the dedicated Server (gameserver exe) on one of your clients. Create a LAN game and select the VPN-Adress in the servers properties before finally starting.
4. Now start Sacred, you should be able to see the game from the server and join.

HINT: if you cant see the game on the machine (that is not in the same LAN as the server) this indicates an issue with your GIT setup - as this should be broadcast traffic.
If you can see the game on the server but cant join (e.g. error 10026) this indicates an issue with your VPN setup.

Hope this helps the people with a similar network setup.

thosch

P.S.: I heard Win2003 Server RRAS VPN would do broadcast traffic. Anyone who can confirm this ?
thosch

Next

Return to GIT