difference in ping times between using UDP and TCP listen?

Gamer's Internet Tunnel, formerly Gamer's IPX Tunnel

difference in ping times between using UDP and TCP listen?

Postby poseyjmac » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:28 pm

I want the fastest connection possible when i play games with people over the net. now the readme says to use TCP listen, but the program says UDP (fastest). So, isn't it logical to use the fastest protocol?
poseyjmac

Postby Ark » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:13 pm

If you are tunneling IPX or UDP and have no firewall/proxy/NAT blocking your ability to tunnel it inside of UDP, you should use UDP. The readme says this as well.
Neither protocol is reall "faster", its technically more an issue of dropped packets. IPX and UDP are both alike in the fact that its ok for packets to be dropped. If you tunnel IPX or UDP inside of TCP, you will slow down because of packet retransmission for the tunnel.
If you are tunneling TCP or SPX, you would want to tunnel it inside of TCP, since it will be retransmitted anyway then.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby poseyjmac » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:05 pm

ok that makes sense.

i was trying to make a UDP connection just between 2 computers on my private network just to see if it worked. im not successful yet though. i run netstat -a on both computers. and the connection is listed in the UDP section, but theres a *.*, so they aren't connected right? TCP server and client is a snap, but i can't get a UDP connection to work even on my private lan. they bot say 'UP' in connection window, but they say that regardless if anyone is on the other side.

do you know what might be the problem? thanks
poseyjmac

Postby Ark » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:44 pm

Look for if it says "Last packet received" under the connection in the connection status window. Its hard to test on the same LAN because typically that would result in both GITs sending the same traffic to the opposite GIT, and then you get tripple packets on the network (original + two dupilcates) which can confuse things, cause retransmit or break programs that don't expect tons of duplicates.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby poseyjmac » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:50 pm

Ok, there's just one more thing I don't understand. now once we make the connection via TCP or UDP. Do I still need to open the ports im going to use for a game in my router? I already have the port open necessary for the TCP or UDP connection(213), but do the peers still have to go out and through my router again when connecting to games? i know that I have to forward the ports in GIT that the game will use, this is take care of, but I thought that once we made that connection, it was like we were on a lan, and we didn't have to worry about ports anymore. thanks for the help so far!
poseyjmac

Postby Ark » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:27 pm

It depends on what kind of setup you are trying to get. If you want to tunnel ALL traffic for a game, which is the only way you can do it for most games that use IPX, you don't need to open anything other then port 213 for GIT. If you are using a hybrid setup like the WC3 examples where you only tunnel the broadcast UDP packets but expect the clients to make normal internet connections to connect, you will need to open the specific game port in your router, and maybe use the alter source IP for NAT option in GIT, if your router is doing NAT.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby poseyjmac » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:41 pm

thanks for all the info. program works great
poseyjmac

Return to GIT