gif vs avi files

Questions or topics about Morpheus Photo Morpher, Warper, Mixer, or Animation Suite v3.00

gif vs avi files

Postby suzanne » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:16 am

I am doing a reunion project where I am morphing graduates from now to then pictures. Then I am placing them in a power point presentation. I am using the animated gif but it makes the pp very large (hard on memory). I am working on switching to avi files which is making the pp smaller but the quality of the pictures is not as good. I am doing avi compressed and then picking Microsoft video 1 not sure what it means but it does work not making the morphs too long, and I don’t get a message saying that it is not compatible. Then I am concerned about the linking because I am going to save to cd and take to another computer for using on a presentation system. I understand I have to have all the pictures included in a file not just the power point correct. This sounded so much easier when I started this project. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
suzanne

Postby Ark » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:02 am

Microsoft Video 1 is a codec. A codec is a part of the windows system that does the COmpression and DECompression to create and play AVI files. In order for somebody to play your AVI on another computer, they must have the codec installed that you used to compress the AVI with.

The upside to MS Video 1 is that all versions of windows come with this codec installed by default, so you never need to worry about if it exists or not. It is also fairly fast at compressing AVIs. The downside is that it does not produce very small AVI files compared to some other codecs, and the quality is rather poor. A very good codec currently is DivX. DivX compresses fairly fast and produces much smaller files, with much higher quality, however you must first install it in order to use it, and then you must install it on the computer you wish to play the AVI back on. Many people already have DivX since it is fairly popular, or you can download it from http://www.divx.com/divx/ (WARNING: do not download the "Ad Supported" free version, it will install GAIM which will display ads and popups even when you are not surfing the web, there is a slightly hard to find link on that page to download the free no-ad standard version instead of the ad-supported Pro version)

As for PowerPoint, I dont have it or use it, but I am fairly certain the contents of your pictures or AVIs will be stored in your .ppt file, so you only need to transport the .ppt (and maybe the divx installer) to another computer in order to have it all play. A simple check would be to save your .ppt and see how big it is, then insert your AVI and save your .ppt - if the size of the ppt file is much larger, and close to the size of the AVI file, its probably saved inside there.
Ark
Site Admin

avi vs gif reply

Postby suzanne » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:20 am

Thank you for your response - I understand. I did go to the web site and read. But I found out if I use the slider bar when saving the avi (push to right up to 100) it makes the quality better. The other thing that I heard was that in ppt when you add avi files it links not imbeds them to the show - because when I change my gifs to avis the size of my power point goes down even tho the size of the file avi is larger. just thought you may want to know
suzanne

Return to General Questions