Program will not open

Questions or topics about Morpheus Photo Morpher, Warper, Mixer, or Animation Suite v3.00

Program will not open

Postby Naomi » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:19 pm

Today, I purchased Morpheus v1.85 Pro from Broderbund, and now I find I cannot open the program. When I try to open the Beginner program, I get an error message (Error #52 opening file; Bad file name or number). When I try to open the Normal program, I get no response at all, not even an error message.

Having paid over $50 for the program, I really want to get this problem resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Naomi
Naomi

Postby Ark » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:57 pm

What OS do you use? Do you have any foreign language options such as keyboard or input methods used for windows?
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Naomi » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:04 pm

I use Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed. I don't know if I have foreign language options such as keyboard or input methods. How would I obtain such information and could you explain what it means?
Naomi

Postby Ark » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:59 pm

If you speak another language other then English or use software in other languages. If you don't know what it means, we can assume you are just using the normal English version with no nonstandard componants.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Ark » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:00 pm

Can you run the program if you navigate in explorer to C:\Program Files\Morpheus Software\ and run Morpheus.exe ?

Do you have any virus scanner or such running?
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Naomi » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:41 pm

I tried running it from Morpheus.exe, but that didn't work either. I do have Norton Internet Security running.
Naomi

Postby Ark » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:42 pm

Does temporarily disabling any programs such as Norton allow the program to start?
Is there any other programs running other then Norton?
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Naomi » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:48 am

Disabling Norton allows me to open the program. It begins with an Error Message #12007: Name not resolved.
Then it says that this is day 999 of my evaluation. Because I purchased Morpheus v1.85 Pro, I am wondering why I am getting an evaluation copy message. Any thoughts?
After these minor annoyances, I seem to be able to use the program as it was intended. I will keep on experimenting and reading the help pages.
Thanks for your help.
Naomi

Postby Ark » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:01 pm

You must enter your activation code or the program functions as a trial.
Name not resolved means the program is unable to reach our website which is required in order to activate. Either you are not online or Norton is still blocking access to the internet.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Naomi » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:42 am

I used my activation code when I downloaded from Broderbund. I turn off Norton's firewall as well as my internet connection when I open the program now. Wouldn't disabling the firewall and keeping the internet connection active expose me to viruses, spyware, etc.? It sounds risky.
Naomi

Postby Ark » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:09 am

If the firewall is interfering with normal internet operations, yes, you will need to temporarily disable it to activate. Most firewalls do not have such an effect and they will allow the program internet access to work properly still.
On a side note, simply disabling a firewall or other internet related security program is not inherently risky. Many people, myself included, do not run any virus scanner, spyware scanner, firewall, or anything. At the same time, running all of those items is not inherently safe, as it is still possible to get viruses or other bad software even with those things running. It comes down to trust and responsibility and looking out for what you are doing. Morphues requires internet access only once in order to activate. You can probably configure your program that is blocking it to just unblock Morpheus without disabling it completely, but we cannot help you with that as we aren't the makers of the specific security program.
Last edited by Ark on Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Naomi » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:19 am

Thanks for your help. I will try to implement your instructions.
Naomi

Postby Naomi » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:44 am

I can no longer open the program no matter what I do. I have tried turning Norton on and off and also turning my cable modem on and off. This is, without a doubt, the most frustrating software experience I have ever had. I think I just wasted $50. I am out of patience and will probably seek a refund from Broderbund.
Naomi

Postby Ark » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:09 am

This is not a flaw with Morpheus or isolated to just this program. It seems that you have a few restrictive 'security' program that prevents you from being able to properly run other software. There have been no other reports of this happening so far and there is little else can do to control 3rd party software you have on your computer that is interfering with Morpheus.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Naomi » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:09 pm

Broderbund is going to refund my purchase price after I sign and return a Software Destruction Agreement.

I appreciate your many attempts to help me, and I am saddened that I will not be able to use Morpheus. It looked as if it would have been a lot of fun.
Naomi

Return to General Questions