how do I make animations smaller files but larger resolution

Questions or topics about Morpheus Photo Morpher, Warper, Mixer, or Animation Suite v3.00

how do I make animations smaller files but larger resolution

Postby benwhately » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:00 pm

I am using Morpheus to create animated gifs to teach the meaning of Chinese characters. For example, look at the animations at the two animations on this page: http://www.memrise.com/item/3745/man/ (you have to scroll down a little bit). The top animation was done on Morpheus, the bottom one on photoshop. The morpheus one is much better for my needs because it shows the man's legs moving outwards to fit the character, which makes the image more interesting and more memorable. With photoshop I can just fade from one to the other, which is not so interesting to look at.

However, the morpheus animation is too small in terms of size on the page, and too big as a file size. Ideally, i would like the animated gif to be 400 pixels by 400 - as the second animation done on photoshop is. I would also like the file to be less than 100kb, again, as the photoshop one is. I don't mind if the animation is pretty jerky, but I would really like it if there could be just some of the morphing that comes with the morpheus animation. This becomes even more important for other more difficult characters.

Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated!
benwhately

Re: how do I make animations smaller files but larger resolu

Postby Ark » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 pm

You can set the size, in pixels, to any size you want in the Timeline Options window. It is best if you use pictures that are at least as big as you set your animation to be, or the level of detail will not be worth it.

As for file size in KB, less frames in the animation (set in Morph Options) will result in a quicker, shorter animation, with a smaller file size.
You can decrease the frames per second in the Timeline Options window in order to change the quick, short animation into a longer, but choppier/jerkier animation, without any effect on the file size.

The only other significant way to decrease the filesize of the animated GIF file is to decrease the size in pixels, but if you want it 400x400, then you have little choice there.

I would recommend seeing if you can use Flash SWF, which will be compressed with JPEG-like compression, and will likely have much smaller files, and better quality than GIF, if you can use that file type instead.
Ark
Site Admin

Return to General Questions