Best quality?

Questions or topics about Morpheus Photo Morpher, Warper, Mixer, or Animation Suite v3.00

Best quality?

Postby johnimmel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:38 pm

Under Preview>Options I can choose a number for Quality---seems the default is 75---will it help the quality of my end product if I changed that number to 100?

Also---frames per second---what is best for quality? 15 seems the default here---should I be using 24 (film)?---30 (video)?

My end goal is to create an imovie made up of the morph sequences I create. I will want to burn it to DVD.

Thanks
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:46 am

Quality only effects JPEG still images and SWF animations. It is a tradeoff between larger file sizes and sharper images, but there is a point at which you cannot tell the difference, and the file just gets very very large. You almost never want to set it to 100, as that is simply a huge waste of space.

It may be reasonable to use 90 perhaps, if the file size is still within a tolerable limit for your usage.

30 fps will be much smoother than 15 fps, but you will have a shorter morph unless you go increase the frame length to compensate. More frames of course means a larger file again, but the quality is much more noticeable at 30 fps over 15.

Check what file formats your DVD authoring software supports. You may want to use AVI with a high-quality codec or even uncompressed, since being on a DVD will end up compressing it anyway.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby johnimmel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Many thanks for all the good answers.

Question---I am using an imac---want to bring my morph into imovie---when I look at the file types it supports, AVI is one of them---but when I created an AVI test file to import, it was not accepted.

Any suggestions?
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Perhaps it only supports certain codecs? You may need to check with Apple support for information about iMovie. It may be as simple as installing the same codec on your Mac that you used on Windows when you created the AVI.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby johnimmel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Excuse my novice understanding, but I created the AVI on my Mac while using Morpheus---I can easily call Apple support but you have me confused with the Windows comment.

And what is a codec?
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:32 pm

You did not specify which OS you were using Morpheus on, so I assumed Windows because of AVI. The Professional edition on OS X lets you render your animations with Quicktime, which may allow you to produce AVI files as well. There is also the uncompressed AVI option.

Both AVI and QT files are just containers for movie files. There is an infinite number of possible codecs you can use to actually do the compression and decompression for the data in the movie container. You need to have the same codec installed on the computer playing the AVI/QT file as was used to create it, or it will not play.

Perhaps iMovie does not support AVI files, or requires them to use a certain codec.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby johnimmel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:25 pm

I was able to create a Quicktime movie that imovie liked---the quality seems good.

When I render it again (for real) I'll make the change to 90 on "quality" and do it at 30fps.

Hopefully that will add a bit more quality to my end result---admittedly, many of the photos I am using are older of of pretty poor quality to begin with.

This is all being both a bit of a struggle and a bunch of fun.

Thanks for your help.
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:49 am

The Quality option does not affect Quicktime files at all. All settings regarding quality/file size options are specific to the codec you select and must be configured through the Quicktime interface when rendering your animation.
Ark
Site Admin

Return to General Questions