Best practice?

Questions or topics about Morpheus Photo Morpher, Warper, Mixer, or Animation Suite v3.00

Best practice?

Postby johnimmel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:52 pm

In running a series of photos in a morph sequence, is there any "rule of thumb" for the length of morph and hold at beginning, hold at end frame rates?

I am playing around with different numbers but am not satisfied with my results.

The default seems to be 15, 0, 0---but this moves too quickly for me.

Any general guidance?
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 am

There is no rule of thumb. You can set these values to any value you want. Higher values will make the morph last longer, and for the morph itself, a longer time morphing makes it more gradual.

You can also adjust the Frames per Second in the Timeline Options, which effects the apparent speed of your animation as well.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby johnimmel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:53 pm

Many thanks for the good answer---I know all these things are "personal"---just wondering if there was some sort of "standard" to start with and experiment from there.

QUESTION---is there a benefit to purchasing the "pro" software in terms of quality for the finished product?---or does the "pro" version simply allow me more options?

My morphs are taking a fair bit of time to get all the original images---want to be certain I am making the most of the effort---many of my originals are older photos and of lesser quality.

John
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:37 pm

You can compare each edition of the programs at http://www.morpheussoftware.net/morpheu ... ompare.php

Depending on what you are using your morphs for, rendering to AVI may be much higher quality, if you plan on editing them in 3rd party software later.
If you are placing the SWF or GIF files directly onto a website, you probably do not need to render to AVI files.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby johnimmel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 pm

I'd like burn the morphs I create to DVD---show them on a TV---so fairly large in size.

Will the increase to AVI quality in the "pro"version help me there?
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:42 pm

It's not as much about quality as it is the ability to import your animations into other programs. Most DVD authoring software or movie editing software is going to allow you to import AVI files, and probably not SWF or GIF files. GIF files are going to be somewhat low quality, because all GIF files are limited to 256 colors. AVI is most likely the best choice for the best quality/file size tradeoff, if you are using an MPEG-4 or H.264 codec such as DivX or XviD.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby johnimmel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using a new iMac and want to burn the DVD on my machine---sounds like upgrading is the way to go---each of the morphs I create will be a small gift to my children---I'd like it to look as good as possible

BUT will I be able to keep the work I have done as I move to the "Morpheus pro"?
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 am

Any higher program or edition can open the *.aml layout files from the same or lower editions without any issues.

Lower editions can open files created in higher editions, but will give a warning if any features are used that are not available in the lower edition.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby johnimmel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks very much for all the insight---seems that the Pro version will be worthwhile for what I have in mind.

I do want the best quality possible and AVI files seem to be the answer.

Sorry for some of the very basic questions, but AVI files will work on my Mac, correct?
johnimmel

Postby Ark » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 am

File types don't work with a computer specifically. I can't really say if every program you have on your Mac can read AVI files, and even then, you may not have the same set of codecs installed on your Mac as on Windows. You should most likely be able to use common codecs like DivX, but this is a support question that is best directed at the author of the program you wish to load the AVI into specifically.
Ark
Site Admin

Return to General Questions