Loading AVI Files in v1.85 Pro

Questions or topics about Morpheus Photo Morpher, Warper, Mixer, or Animation Suite v3.00

Loading AVI Files in v1.85 Pro

Postby Delrik » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:59 pm

I am trying to load .avi files with Morpheus v1.85 Pro to do some video morphing. Some .avi files load fine, while others do not, with no discernable pattern that I can figure out. Most troubling of all is the fact that some of the .avi files created by Morpheus v1.85 Pro itself will not load! (This appears to depend on the codec Morpheus uses to render the files.)

I have searched the forums and found info that seems to indicate that v1.85 only supports some compression formats. Specifically, Microsoft Video 1 was indicated as a safe bet that is almost certain to work. It doesn't. I've tried converting the files into this format using Adobe Premier Elements, but I am still unable to get them to load. Also, PE file conversion aside, I really should be able to load .avi files created by Morpheus itself, which is not the case.

Help!
Delrik

Postby Ark » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Morpheus v1.85 uses Video4Windows (the older Microsoft movie API interface) and many newer codecs only support DirectShow (Microsoft's newer interface). What AVI files load or what codecs work to render from Morpheus are all up to the codecs themselves.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Delrik » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:42 pm

By any chance do you know of a utility that would allow me to convert files to the Video4Windows format? As much as I would like to upgrade to the newest version of the software, that's not feasible for me at this time.
Delrik

Postby Ark » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Video4Windows is not a format of the AVI, it is an interface for programs to access the codecs installed in Windows.
Ark
Site Admin

Postby Delrik » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:59 pm

While I can't guarantee results for other users, I was able to find a workaround for this issue. By using a third party program called Virtual Dub (http://www.virtualdub.org/), I was able to create files that were able to be loaded in Morpheus. By loading those files in VDub and then saving them as a new file, I was able to get Morpheus to load the source video I wanted to use.

As a reminder, my problem was that many of my best video files, including those created by Morpheus itself, were not able to be loaded as input files.

I would also like to add that VDub is not only free, but has a great many useful functions, including video cropping, format conversion, and is a very simple way to take a larger video file and edit it down to just the parts you want to keep.

I'm very happy to have found this workaround for my older version of Morpheus. Ark, please be assured that I **love** Morpheus for its power and ease of use, and know that I plan to upgrade to the Industrial version of the Morpheus Photo Animation Suite as soon as my budget allows. I can't wait to have access to all the new features!
Delrik

Return to General Questions